anyone have bb puffers?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, you can't really keep to of any fish in a 1.5 gallon tank. I don't know much about bumble bee puffers, but dwarf puffers need at least 5 gallon per fish.

What says they only get an inch long? If its the bumble bee puffers, then that's true. If its the BB Puffers, its way off.

Do you think you could post a picture? Because I can tell you right now that South American Puffers get to 3-5" and dwarf puffers stay under and inch. It really matters what kind they are because then we can help you set up the proper tank and give you information about the puffer so you can keep it correctly.

Do you think you could post a picture? Because I can tell you right now that South American Puffers get to 3-5" and dwarf puffers stay under and inch. It really matters what kind they are because then we can help you set up the proper tank and give you information about the puffer so you can keep it correctly.

I'll get pics when I get back up there. I'm about Ann hour from there they were about a half an inch and kinda green is all I can tell you

What info on the net regarding puffers is slim. I have always been interested in them so dug up what I think is accurate info. South American puffers are also known as SA puffers, bumble bee puffer, bee puffer or BB puffer (has to do with their coloring) and as Scottyhorse mentioned their max size is 5" though mostly reach 3". Dwarf puffers are also known as pea puffers as they only reach the size of 1.5" as an adult. These are the only two puffers that I've discovered that are full freshwater. Dwarf puffers don't have the teeth issue that SA puffers do. If they don't chew enough snails, rocks or driftwood that their teeth will have to be trimmed by the owner. Something I may have to look forward to as mine doesn't chew the snails he just sucks part of them out and leave the res to decompose hence the messy eater and good filtration is needed. Here's my Puffy as my son calls him

Attachments

• image-177780491.jpg
    image-177780491.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 48
Looks like a cool fish. Where did you get him?

I got him at Big Al's in London ON. I actually thought I was getting a Dwarf puffer but was a bit surprised when I found out he was a SA puffer. They are both scaleless fish so they're a little more sensitive and I got to keep the tank cleaner more often. They're extremely curious and always exploring

Asking marsh

Hey. My dude bought this pea puffer(true dwarf variety) from a fish shop here in Santa Cruz, CA. He is named Piopi. A "Hawaiian" name from our favorite Paul Rudd character(name the movie 15 points go!)

I took some more photos, not easy we lose him even in a one gallon tank! Takes a minute, even the ghost shrimp are elusive. He loves food so he is quickly learning when mealtimes are and hunts with impressive focus!

Attachments

• image-4137116862.jpg
    image-4137116862.jpg
    193.7 KB · Views: 46
  • image-4268211015.jpg
    image-4268211015.jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 39
  • image-3286927172.jpg
    image-3286927172.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 44
  • image-2285831528.jpg
    image-2285831528.jpg
    140.2 KB · Views: 46
Yeah they told her she could put 5 in a 5 gallon. Bad thing is is this is the best fish store I have ever seen. All they deal with is fish and mostly saltwater. Aquatic Critter Freshwater, Saltwater, Reef Fish & Reptiles

I go there all the time. They have saltwater but over half their stock is freshwater. (one side is all river fish and crayfish and piranhas its the saltwater side but its freshwater fish) I need to find someone to trim my south american puffer's teeth. Anyway I got my dwarf puffer there 3 years ago. Pretty rare and you have to kinda hound them about ordering them. Got pretty much all my fish from there, including my old cichlids. They take excellent care of their tanks. They even make sure the betta tanks are filtered. Love it there. Go to the reptile side and get an camien even :)

Yeah that's cool I'm glad to see people on here in my area... Well somewhat I'm about 45 minutes or so from there. But its almost the only place you can find saltwater fish. At least any selection of fish and coral. But for that fact they are a little higher at times.

I found a store in Columbia TN that has some saltwater fish no coral though but they have a membership thing that gives you 10% off most everything. some things they are cheaper than ac and some not.

Guy I last talked to there was new, he had never seen a dwarf puffer. (I just talked about him, didnt bring the puffer in) and I was like um yeah I got him here. But there are employees who have worked there 20+ years who are very knowledgable they rarely have steered me wrong (tho I do research first anyway) and even wrong they arent far off from right. But definitely not mostly saltwater, I had trouble finding certain saltwater fish when I have tried a tank (never got fish just live rock and snails). Heard about the place in columbia but I feel like the drive will be the same price after gas as the discount. But maybe one day I will try it out, I love going to aquarium stores. :)

Yeah we've been just about everywhere to pet stores. I'm probably about 30-40 minutes from Columbia but AC has a little better selection plus corals

But I picked up 2 chromis from Columbia for $14 bucks tax and all

Back
Top Bottom