Anything in this tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishman007

Aquarium Advice Addict
Found this little glass cup and was wondering if i could keep RHSA or any type of invertabrate inside this thing. The tank is 4inch long, 3inch wide, and 5 1/2 inch tall. Here is a pic

image-366537871.jpg

For filtration i was thinking maybe a piece of anubias? Would i need a light for it? Or could it just use the room lighting? Or natural sunlight? Thanks.

If my calculations are correct that is about .28 gallons, I doubt anything could thrive in it.

Do a search on this forum for a thread called Planted Bowls. All different sizes; a very few of them had livestock such as shrimp and minnows (as in top minnows, mosquito fish, Gambusia spp).

Ok so i guess i need a bigger bowl! Will any lighting work? Im thinking about duckweed, anubias, and if i can get my hands on it, java moss.

Even I wouldn't do a Betta In something that small . It should be at least half a gal

Not sure but I have heart ghost shrimp need established aquarium cuz they feed off of a biofilm

I know they sell 2.5 gal with filter systems in them but for price they go at you may as well buy a 5-10 gal tank

I once saw a video of a diy filter that was made from an empty seasoning jar. It was pretty cool and would be a nice little filter for a bowl. You would have minimal tubing coming out the top of the bowl. Could be an interesting way to go.

You could set up a sponge filter in a 3g bowl. I suggest doing that. It will take up some space, but I think it would help you out a fair bit. I ran a sponge filter in a 2.5g shrimp tank and it worked out great. The shrimp love to eat off the sponge anyways.
A couple plants would be ok with just ambient lighting from the room but not many. I think Anubias would just slowly die (because anubias does everything rather slow). Java moss and/or java ferns maybe? Not positive on the java fern though. I had some live fine with ambient lighting, but that was not a long term set-up. Just a few months.

You could set up a sponge filter in a 3g bowl. I suggest doing that. It will take up some space, but I think it would help you out a fair bit. I ran a sponge filter in a 2.5g shrimp tank and it worked out great. The shrimp love to eat off the sponge anyways.
A couple plants would be ok with just ambient lighting from the room but not many. I think Anubias would just slowly die (because anubias does everything rather slow). Java moss and/or java ferns maybe? Not positive on the java fern though. I had some live fine with ambient lighting, but that was not a long term set-up. Just a few months.

Yeah i was thinking java moss and java fern too, what about duckweed

Back
Top Bottom