API master freshwater test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pearly

Aquarium Advice Freak
Started typing this yesterday and got interrupted so if another post about this is floating somewhere put there, my apologies. Has anyone ever had issues with your master test, specifically the Amnonia part of it? Mine doesn't change color of the tested sample at all, as if nothing has been put into the test tube. I had my tanks tested this same day at lfs to double check and one of them qctually did have trace amt of ammonia so thus test is unreliable. I emailed the manufacturer but no response (ofcourse!) will try to call the 800 number customer service this am. Meanwhile was wondering if you guys ever had something like this happen since so many of you have recommended this test. Any input will be very much appreciated, thank you

Are you using the 2 dropper bottles?

I made that mistake early on

I have the master test kit from API, as well as a solo Ammonia test kit. They are both the same thing. Use a vial, put 5ml of water and 8 drops of each bottle.

Both kits work fine for me. Right now I have no ammonia so the results are pure yellow, no traces of green. I did get ammonia results while the tank was cycling, however they seemed a bit too high. I was reading 4ppm as an example, took some water to LFS and they said - per test strip - it was closer to only 2ppm.

I trust the API test kit rather then the strips. I read somewhere I believe in here that someone had the master test kit had two #1 bottles. Make sure you have #1 & bottle #2. Expiration date on the bottle? How about the other test? Nitrite & Nitrate okay?

If all checks well....I will call API & tell them your issue and see what they will say and believe they might send you a free ammonia test kit.

Thank you for your responses. Heard back from API guy, problems solved. Thanks again

Where does everyone get the spare test tubes for the water test kit?

Thanks for the link, and please don't laugh (at least not too hard:), my testing problem was due to my own stupidity and lack of patience in reading instructions, read the first couple of pages in full then made wrong assumption that the rest is just this same... Hm... Another assumption made was one that "bottles #2" are for the chemicals that are being used in larger volumes (i.e. 8 or 10 drops as opposed to 3 or 5 on orhers)... as not to run out so quickly of those... Well, the API guy was nice and didn't scold me, just said that the only way sample would not turn colors would be if only one of test solution bottles were used, and he was correct. I bet there are more idiots like myself who make this same mistake. I wish there was some kind of a little sign on the kit saying: "FOR THE IDIOTS OUT THERE, PLEASE USE SOLUTION FROM BOTH BOTTLES, API DOESN't GIVE RAT'S REAR ABOUT YOU RUNNING OUT OF ONE BEFORE THE OTHERS", or something like that. Sorry about that post. Seems that as soon as it feels I'm "getting it" something stupid like this happens to prove how stupid I still am. This is exactly

No worries.... We all have our moments of a brain fart. The key here is that you found the problem, fixed it & now you know.....(y)

Thank you, I meant to add that this was exactly the reason why people get there education and acquire all essential skills before the age of 25. Once people get to the "expert level" at some things it can hinder the ability to acquire new skills or at the least make this process a very frustrating one. I'm just trying to focus on pure enjoyment of the beauty of nature encompassed in tiny ecosystems of little fish tanks that I've discovered by pure chance. It's been humbling experience having to ask young kids out there for their expert advise on issues that have come up. I don't believe in giving up and so far attribute loss of 1 fish and 1 ghost shrimp to my ignorance but the remaining 7 fish and 13 shrimp plus 4 micro-ecosystems thriving due to my perseverance and focus on doing "what is right". I'm looking forward to time when I'll be able to browse through all the posts here and pictures. So many of you Guys out there do wonderful things, what fun to watch and read! Thanks

Are you using the 2 dropper bottles?

I made that mistake early on

Hah! Right on! Don't know how I missed your post earlier! Yep! That's exactly what I did! Moron!!!!

Last edited:
Yea I did the same thing and I have a masters degree. LOL!!!!!! I rarely read instructions.

EAL,
Bless you for your candor. We are all floating around in the same boat right by you. LOL
Between my stupid attacks, senile attacks and oldztimer disease my life would not be near as "interesting". Welcome to the funny farm! Glad you're with us! LOL OS.

Thanks to all of you Guys who responded and for not making me feel any worse then I already did about myself. I think I need to start another thread about some tank issues. Not sure about the rules here if I need to stay on the titled topic on the thread and if threads should be closed once issues resolved. Another learning curve:) @ OldScales now, thank you for your kind comment. I'm not insecure about my aging process, it's just frustrating to notice that once incredibly sharp mind, photographic memory combined with 7th sense that always tells you what to do before you even have a chance to investigate stuff and the only time bad decisions are made is when you don't listen to that gut feeling... is becoming dull. Missing something like that test instructions... I don't know, that just bites! And it p..... me off. I'll have to get to that thread about "what stupid things people did with their tanks/fish" maybe that'll make me feel better. Meanwhile will start another thread about small tanks. Need some guidance there. Thanks again to All of you Guys

Back
Top Bottom