api test kit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i have been reading that since i'm addeding my prime in ..it is detoxification the ammonia into a non harmful ammonia for my fish probably why i'm getting a false reading

That's correct, since Prime detoxifies ammonia etc for 24 hours you can cut back to doing water changes every 24 hours instead, depending.

yea thats what i plan on doing just order some more prime lol..but i also got seacheam ammonia test kit for free and total ammonia soo hopefully my fish will be fine by tuesday.....and should i do 50% water changes every24 hours?

Hi what is the amount of ammo coming out your tap ? depending on the amount. when your tank is cycled it will not matter if you have ammo in your tap youe BB will take care of it. I have .25 ammo in my tap and have no issues.

Ideally you don't want to add ammonia into your tank even if its cycled IMO. Your just asking for issues like your having now.

I have ammonia but my tap reads 0. You may want to invest in a RO unit, there cheap enough for peace of mind again IMO.

just because your BB is established (when it is) I wouldn't take the chance. It's going to be working on your bio load why add additional issues and make your BB work even harder.

Once again this is JMO.

Hi what is the amount of ammo coming out your tap ? depending on the amount. when your tank is cycled it will not matter if you have ammo in your tap youe BB will take care of it. I have .25 ammo in my tap and have no issues.
well i tested it and its sitting at .50ppm but it looks like it at 1.0ppm

Yea it is..I know so bummed out right now but I gonna get two 5 gallon jugs and fill them up with a in store water station...just gonna drain 60% of the water and switch water

Yea it is..I know so bummed out right now but I gonna get two 5 gallon jugs and fill them up with a in store water station...just gonna drain 60% of the water and switch water

That will be better IMHO and in the long run it will be easier on you and your fish. I see a RO unit maybe in your future. Some tap water just is horrible. Not your fault...

In my reply asked what the ammo is out of the tap and if was .25 or less it would be just fine IMO after your tank is cycled doing your weekly water changes would make it unreadable on. an Api test kit and also using prime would make it non toxic for 24hrs and would not put a strain on your BB again just my Op

In my reply asked what the ammo is out of the tap and if was .25 or less it would be just fine IMO after your tank is cycled doing your weekly water changes would make it unreadable on. an Api test kit and also using prime would make it non toxic for 24hrs and would not put a strain on your BB again just my Op

it was more then .25 pretty much can't use my tap which sucks so i have to go get filter water from the store

Yea like I said your tap reads way too high IMO to comfortable use it. It happens though. My buddy has to use distilled water for his changes granted its a 20 gallon long but still, it stinks and adds to the expense

Yea like I said your tap reads way too high IMO to comfortable use it. It happens though. My buddy has to use distilled water for his changes granted its a 20 gallon long but still, it stinks and adds to the expense

yea i know how he feels i just got 20 1 gallon jugs of distilled water 0_o but hey 88cents at walmart sure why not...the town i'm in doesn't have the 5gallon jugs to fill up lol small town : /...once i get the nitrites i'll be happy lol probably why my plants were dieing too cuz of the ammonia

so i'll test it in a hour to see were i'm at ammonia wise glad i got more water so i can water change just in case

i heard that using distilled water is bad for the tank

i heard that using distilled water is bad for the tank

Using pure/only distilled water isnt a good idea because the good minerals aswell as the bad are absent. Most people will remineralise distilled water or mix it with a % of tap water. Pretty much in the same way people use RODI water. Distilled water is actually even purer than RO water.

Using pure/only distilled water isnt a good idea because the good minerals aswell as the bad are absent. Most people will remineralise distilled water or mix it with a % of tap water. Pretty much in the same way people use RODI water.

well my tap has 1ppm of ammonia in it but i left a little bit of my tap in my tank when i added the distilled water...so when i do water changes i should just add in some tap with my distilled water...or would filter drinking water from like walmart be better

well my tap has 1ppm of ammonia in it but i left a little bit of my tap in my tank when i added the distilled water...so when i do water changes i should just add in some tap with my distilled water...or would filter drinking water from like walmart be better

Ok you have ammonia in your tap.. i didnt realise. Adding tap probably isnt a good idea unless at a ratio of 9:1 of distilled to tap. Which would bring it to 0.10ppm but you would still probably have to add other minerals to the water.. I feel your pain about your tap water. Buying water and replenishing minerals could be an expensive affair.

Ok you have ammonia in your tap.. i didnt realise. Adding tap probably isnt a good idea unless at a ratio of 9:1 of distilled to tap. Which would bring it to 0.10ppm but you would still probably have to add other minerals to the water.. I feel your pain about your tap water. Buying water and replenishing minerals could be an expensive affair.
yea it sucks so much lol i just did a massive water change like 60% water change and i tested for ammonia it looks like its at .25 ppm but italso looks like its at 0.50 ppm lol guess i should do another water change again 0_o so much work but its worth it though

Back
Top Bottom