Aqua Platns (Bulbs)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rocktrns

Aquarium Advice Activist
Today at petco I brought some bulbs and they seem to be a mix of bulbs assorted and it has no directions on wither or not I plant them or just drop them in. So what do I do?

I've bought the bulbs before. They are apongeton bulbs and sometimes you get a dwarf lily (really cool). You just drop them in. Don't plant them. Once they have sprouted and grown to about 1/2"-1" then plant them in the substrate if they haven't already sunk. After a month, those that have not sprouted are duds and you can throw them out.

The dwarf lily bulbs are the really huge ones and make the package worth it.

Let them float until they have sprouted. If they are still not sprouted after a month toss them.

ok I also have some Mondo Grass and water primrose. How can I keep my plants thriving. I did buy some plant (Floripride).

Mondo grass is not an aquatic plant. It would be best to remove it before it rots in your tank. Nothing much is needed for the plants in your tank. What lights do you have?

Mondo grass is not an aquatic plant. It would be best to remove it before it rots in your tank. Nothing much is needed for the plants in your tank. What lights do you have?
Well I dont have organic substrate,and one of the white ribbon plants I notice dont have any roots at all? I have 15W Aquarium light bulbs.

How large is the aquarium? The white ribbon plant isn't an aquatic plant I don't think. A picture can quickly dispel any doubts. Don't worry, for most plants at low lighting, what comes from your fish will be sufficient for food.

Yes the plants you have will be fine. You can dose with Seachem Flourish if you start to see them suffer. However, just remember that the mondo grass and that white ribbon plant are not aquatic.

+1 Mondo grass and white ribbon plants don't do well fully submerged. They may last for a while, but eventually they'll die off.

A lot of the time, the bulbs on the shelf are dried out, but they're "guaranteed" to sprout. You can send the dud bulbs back to the company and they'll send you replacements. I've seen a much higher success rate with the replacements.

Back
Top Bottom