Aquaclear 30 or 50?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No it wont be too much. Its really not much more then a AC50. If your running 2 AC30's then its 60 gal of filtration which most people recomend to double your filtration anyways. If you run an AC50 your running 50 gallons of filtration. Honestly if it was my tank i would have got an AC50 as a minimum but prob an AC70 for that tank.

But wouldn't having 2 ac30's in a 29g be too much current? I know you can adjust the filters, but still...:scrambleup:

Its really not ging to be much more flow then the AC50. Its going to be spread out over a larger area across the surface of the tank using the 2 filters.

I'd say the double AC30s probably provide less current than the AC50, given the way they are spread out. You won't get the single huge waterfall.

I'd go with the 50. I added another AquaClear 50 to my 45G tank and having one on each end has really improved circulation as well. All of my 43 fish seem to like it :D Also, no need to use the carbon insert (unless you need to remove medication i.e. from the water). Go for 2 sponges and 1 BioMax insert.

A very knowledgeable owner of a tropical fish store advised get double the tank size at the least. She had an AC 70 on a 15 gallon tank with 30 2" fish in it, @ $20 per fish. That's around $600 worth of fish. Very crowded but clear water and healthy fish. None of them were dying, of course. As I said, she is a very knowledgeable owner of a tropical fish store, 29 years in the biz.

When I mentioned the water in one of my tanks didn't smell bad, just kind of "riverish" she suggested I change the carbon bag every two weeks. Said it would also keep the water crystal clear. That's what I did, and it is. No smells of any kind either. Carbon is good. Just rinse it well before you drop it in the filter.

I just got a AC50 for my 29 and I'm lovin it. How often should the bio-max or whatever it's called, the little white pellets be changed. bi-monthly?

No need to ever change the bio max. Clean and reuse the sponges untill they fall apart. Carbon is only needed to remove meds or toxins.

I would disagree on the activated carbon comment. Although AC does remove those things a good quality activated carbon will absorb much more than meds and toxins (assuming you're not using the term toxin as an all encompassing term).

I find AC to have a place in both FW and SW tanks when used and changed appropriately.

I have a AC50 running on my 30g long and I love it. For an extra 5 bucks (AC50 is 39.99 at PS.com) you could've got the AC50 from the start. They always match their website's price. No biggie, just thought I would share :)

if you use activated carbon with a planted tank it can also take out trace ferts that the plants need.

Thats not fact

Dont replace the biomax just rinse it like the foam

Also I dont see a point of using carbon unless for med removal

I don't use the carbon. I use the sponge and BioMax and then polyfiber on the top to catch dust (I have sand).

I was thinking about removing the carbon and replacing it with a second sponge.. which I'm probably going to do.

When I ran an AC, I ran all sponges in it. I don't think it really matters what mechanical/bio media you use, just rinse it in tank water every time you do a water change. Personally I don't run carbon unless I have reason to believe the tap water is poisoned. Large water changes work for removing meds and contaminants if your source water is good. (BTW, I love my python.)

Back
Top Bottom