Aquaclear 30 or 50?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

new2betas

Aquarium Advice Addict
For my 29g tank. It is confusing....do I get the 30 since I have a 29g tank (it says "up to 30g") or the 50 (which says "up to 40")?

I would go with the AC70. I have a AC110 on my 55 gal aquarium just to be sure i have plenty of filtration. I also have a Rena XP3 on another 55 gal.

Get the AC50, thats what most seem to do as manufacturers claims dont always hold up in real life. And as long as you dont have a Betta in there who wont like the current.

Also if you plan on having some shrimp in there you may want to get one of these also(Comes with adapters to fit on the inlet)
Filter-Max Pre-Filter

I'd get the "Filter Max III"
Not everyone sells them, seems Kens and Aquarium Guys have them for good prices($6)

I don't have a betta in my 29g, just some tetras and my pleco and soon to be albino cories that are in QT right now.....My pleco LOVES hanging out in the current of water. But, on the aquaclear, isn't there a switch that lets you choose the current flow? That is what attracted me to the aquaclear to begin with....

Yeah it has "flow control" where you can slide the inlet a little to have less current. I doubt that you'll have any issue with too much current on the AC50 at full bore.

They are nice filters for sure, I like my 20

Between the ac30 and the ac50, get the ac50. Petco has them on sale. I got my ac20 for 19.99 this weekend, normally 37.99 at Petco and the cheapest I found it online was 21.39. I didn't check the prices of the higher models. I was in shock. :yum:

I can get the aquaclear 50 from Drs. Foster and Smith for $35. I am ordering a bunch of other stuff from them, so even with shipping it isn't too bad of a deal.

I was at Petsmart today and ended up getting the Aquaclear 30. I just set it up and I really like it! It was 34.99 at Petsmart so I basically saved a few bucks of shipping.

For my 29g tank. It is confusing....do I get the 30 since I have a 29g tank (it says "up to 30g") or the 50 (which says "up to 40")?

Whatever the manufacturer says I cut in half. The box never lives up to what it says. Remember you can never overfilter and AC Filters have that nifty flow control so if the current is too strong you can always turn the flow down.

I like to have atleast 5 times turnover in my tanks but there is the fact i keep Piranahs and they are messy fish. My 55 gal right now has way over 5 times turnover. Im running a AC110 and an XP3 on it but there is an Black Diamond Rhom and a Red Tailed Catfish in the tank.

Should I have gone with the 50 instead? Could I possibly move this 30 to my 10g and get a 50 for my 29g? I was confused as to why everyone was telling me to go with the 50....this 30 seems to be working fine with my 29g right now and my bioload is not too large in there right now.

I was at Petsmart today and ended up getting the Aquaclear 30. I just set it up and I really like it! It was 34.99 at Petsmart so I basically saved a few bucks of shipping.

ok...now I want to kick myself....when I was at Petsmart I was thinking that the aquaclear 30 was the one that Drs. Foster and Smith had for 34.99....it was the 50....:eggface:(we need a kicking ones butt emoticon)!!

Yeah I think you'll definitely want that ac50 for your 29g. The ac30 would be great for your 10g.

I'd go with the 50. I added another AquaClear 50 to my 45G tank and having one on each end has really improved circulation as well. All of my 43 fish seem to like it :D Also, no need to use the carbon insert (unless you need to remove medication i.e. from the water). Go for 2 sponges and 1 BioMax insert.

Remember you can never overfilter
Well, you can, but it's hard. I had some plans to put in a sump go awry, with a massivly overpowered pump. I think I had something like 12x turnover. I'd sized the pump with eventual upgrade to SW in mind, but didn't have a spray bar or any other distributor on the return.

That lasted all of about 60 seconds, as the return wasn't keeping up, and the fish were barely swimming in the current.

But yeah, with an HOB filter, you can't really overdo it. At worst you'll have a dent in the sand where the downdraft of the water is.

If you're running a small bioload, I wouldn't rush out to swap the filter right away. The filter is supporting fish, not the tank. Conversely, if you're pushing the stocking limits, you should certianly overfilter.

If you're running a small bioload, I wouldn't rush out to swap the filter right away. The filter is supporting fish, not the tank. Conversely, if you're pushing the stocking limits, you should certianly overfilter.

yeah...I think I will order my new aquaclear 50 from Drs. Foster and Smith like I had originally planned. This 30 can easily support the fish I have in here until that gets here!

yeah...I think I will order my new aquaclear 50 from Drs. Foster and Smith like I had originally planned. This 30 can easily support the fish I have in here until that gets here!
That or just get another AC30. Then run both of them on the tank. If one ever fails then you have the second to keep your tank going. I had this happen whyle on vacation and lost a $300 Jet Black Rhom. Thats why i now have a 5" Diamond Rhom since i cant afford another Jet Black one.

That or just get another AC30. Then run both of them on the tank. If one ever fails then you have the second to keep your tank going. I had this happen whyle on vacation and lost a $300 Jet Black Rhom. Thats why i now have a 5" Diamond Rhom since i cant afford another Jet Black one.
Two 30's on my 29g wouldn't be too much? So far, all I have in the tank are 5 lamp eye tetras, 6 albino cories, and one rubberlip pleco (2.5" right now).

Back
Top Bottom