Aquaclear HOB media change

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I was told to change my white things when they started to fall apart and the carbon I changed about every three months I think. From what I understand that carbon actually only does anything for a very short amount of time.

Yep, carbon lasts a week before it goes kaput. I use it when i start tanks to get rid of cloudy water fast and to take out medicine or other contaminants. You really shouldn't be using ammonia absorber...it tends to up your nitrates in a pinch. Yout tank should be naturally ammonia free.

I agree. I change my carbon monthly (although it's useful life cycle is much less than that). I don't change my sponge that often. I'll just wash it with tank water for about 3 months then I'll change it. I haven't changed my "white things" ever. Don't ever change more than one thing at a time. Aka, I change my carbon in the middle of the month, and when I do change my sponge, I'll change it at the beginning of the month.

I dont ever change my media... ive got a sponge on the bottom, ceramic rings in the middle, and a sponge on top. I *think* i have a container of carbon somewhere in case i were to ever break down and use meds in my tank, but i've never used it before

in a established tank you really dont need the ammonia-retainer media. i am not sure how fast that is used up so i would check the box. carbon is only active for 1-2 weeks after that it just acts as a bio media.

as for my ac hobs i just run sponges and just clean them never change them.

I only run the sponge and the biomedia regularly. I use carbon only when I'm trying to clear up the water or remove medication. I've never used the ammonia remover. I clean the sponge and biomedia once a month. Haven't needed to replace anything yet.

BigJim - What is the 'biomedia' you use? Isn't it the 3rd medium that comes with it, the ceramic thingies?

Another question: Does the carbon deactivate dechlorinator solutions?

Thanks! This site has been so helpful :)

Yeah, the biomedia is the ceramic chunks.

Carbon doesn't deactivate the dechlorinator. If you poured it directly into the filter, I suppose the carbon might suck some of it up, but, even then, I think the dechlorinator would do its job.

I run the sponge on bottom and ceramics on top, on the ac110 I have polyfil in a media bag on top of the ceramics. I just rinse the media in tank water when I do my water changes every week. Never had to use carbon, hopefully won't need to med.

Ok great! I guess I won't be spending as much on media as I thought.
Better news...one of my platies gave birth yesterday. yay! I was only able to rescue 8 babies while the male looked suspiciously fatter.

I run an ac50 and use sponge/biomax/sponge. I only run carbon when im trying to get rid of tannins from dw. I just swish and clean everything in the water i remove from my tank while doing pwc's. Ive never used ammonia things at all.

Back
Top Bottom