Aquaclear setup question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikan1089

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was going to add some polyester batting to my aquaclear filter do you guys think wrapping the batting around the biomax bag would be a good idea or should I just place a layer between the sponge and biomax. I was thinking since the batting needs cleaning more often it would be easier to wrap it around the biomax but I wasn't sure if I would get as good filtration.

AquaClear Filter Media

I was going to add some polyester batting to my aquaclear filter do you guys think wrapping the batting around the biomax bag would be a good idea or should I just place a layer between the sponge and biomax. I was thinking since the batting needs cleaning more often it would be easier to wrap it around the biomax but I wasn't sure if I would get as good filtration.

Hello m...

The batting (biological medium) should go on the bottom. The chemical (carbon), if you use it, in the middle and the ammonia bag or biomax (mechanical medium) on the top. You don't need to wrap anything. The sponge and the batting serve the same purpose.

B

I was told that the batting catches more of the fine waste then the sponge.

AquaClear Media

Hello m...

Batting is fine to use. I don't know that it does any better than the sponge, but use it and see how it works for you. Batting or sponge will attract and hold small, floating particles in the water that tend to make the water a little cloudy.

Neither will collect waste products, those dissolve in the water and the good bacteria that live in the media and for that matter on any surfaces inside the tank, use the dissolved wastes like ammonia and nitrites for food, sound familiar?

I prefer polyfiber. It's thin, but very dense and helps keep the water clear. It provides a good home for the good bacteria.

Above everything else, have fun!

B

Back
Top Bottom