Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 08-27-2003, 11:11 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

Awesome Sounds like you have all you need for a QT tank. I'd keep an eye on the gravel; you may decide you don't need it since its a temp set up (and its a pain to keep clean when you only need it for 2-3 weeks).

Do keep in mind Stresszyme and all that other crap IS the pet stores bread n apple butter *grin* they don't make a lot of money off the fish; its the stuff that accompanies the fish that brings in the cash.

Don't treat unless you have to. No reason to subject the fish to unneccessary meds. Even Melafix (although the stuff is awesome; I use it when my angelfish decide to beat on each other. Does an amazing job helping them heal their fins). Actually, Melafix has been the ONLY med I've ever used; even when my guys had ich I didn't use meds. I used high temps and salt (my guys can take that) and my tank is now ich free. The other thing about not treating them initially, is you don't know what to use. IF a fish shows signs of illness, then you do the research and determine best course of treatment. Otherwise unneccessary and frankly, a waste of money as well.

Oh and dwarf angelfish? No such thing. Its possible its a mutant or did not recieve proper nutrition initially and that affected its growth. Either way, go for the regular angels; you stand a better chance of getting a healthy fish. Being an angelfish addict myself LOL I suggest you look at maybe doing an angel tank in the future. I've a 55g with 5 angels of varied sizes, 3 clown loaches and a big fat pleco. It sits right behind the couch, and I just turn around and watch those graceful beasts whenever I want. Well, graceful when they aren't fighting over food or chasing each other around LOL

Throwing a coupla kudos your way for being so diligent about researching before buying I'm impressed.

*glares at Terry and QTOFFER*

Card carrying member of FTAS & GCAS.
Allivymar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2003, 11:30 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Freak

Send a message via AIM to ADCISCO Send a message via Yahoo to ADCISCO
They may have been miniature angels.....LOL I just know that they were soooooo pretty and they were very petite.....about the size of a nickle. I have really gotten into the fish thing.....I even worry about my fish. I read constantly so that I can make the right decision the first time.....but in the beginning I didnt get to because I was out of town at the time of the purchase of the tank and fish....I would have researched it first and found out what the correct thing would have been to do.MEN!!!! And they say we are bad about stuff! I dont want to spend money over and over on fish if I dont have too. We killed a bunch in the beginning.....4 tetras,3 neons, a sucker, swordtail and 2 corys..oh and then there was...I'm not sure what its name was but it just looked like a while goldfish with colored spots...it got the ich....I had him up and moving and his spots where going away and on the 3rd day of treatment I went to put the ich meds in and he was such a BIG PIG that he snuck up to the back of the tank and just when I dropped the meds in he swollowed it!!!!!!!! He was dead in an hr.....My daughter was devistated! Her favorite fish......But I guess that was what he got for being greedy!lol

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com