Aquarium Siphone???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MarkA123

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so what's an aquarium siphon? Is it to pump new water in the tank or take water out of the tank? Or is it to clean the substrate? Or something else? Do I need one? I'm going to use sand for a substrate if that matters.

a siphon is commonly understood to be a tube, in an inverted U shape, which allows a liquid to flow uphill without a pump, over an obstacle and then discharge at a level lower than the surface of the original reservoir

If you have a tank without bulkhead holes for drainage, and you want to drain water from your tank and return with a pump, you can build whats commonly called a siphon overflow. If you google images "siphon overflow" you'll get many results.

Allows you to drain water from your tank without holes in the tank or pumping it out.

You can also use a siphon hose to pull detris off the bottom during a PWC, but if it's too powerful you'll suck out your sand and gravel.

3/8" diameter hose is what I use for my siphon. I fill it up with water from the tap and put my finger over the hose. I put one end into the aquarium the other securely in a bucket I release the tank finger and then the bucket finger and let gravity create a vacuum to start sucking water out.

Apart from its use as a HOB overflow for sumps, a siphon is used to take water out of your tank during pwc. If you design the siphon properly (ie a large tube connected to a small tube), you can control the water flow so you can clean out the substrate ... this is commonly called a gravel vac. You can find those in your pet stores. Some have adjustable flow valves, which is good for a sand base, as you generally need to hover that over the sand to pick up the MULM, but need a slow enough flow that you don't remove the sand in the process.

A siphon is prob the best method to take water out of a tank, and you do need one for your water changes ... unless you want to buy a water pump for it. <You only need a pump if you are dumping water up hill.> Another option is a "python" or various copy. This is just a fancy siphon that is started by a running tap. It also has limited ability to pull water uphill, but you waste a lot of water doing that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom