Aquarium substrate or pool filter sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've planted in sand before it basically "hugs" the roots compared to EC. But as for a plant growing substrate, it does well. Yes, it is inert and contains no nutrients. It has a high CEC (cation exchange capacity) which means it attracts cations such as magnesium, ammonium, potassium, and calcium allowing easy nutrient access for the plant's roots.
That sounds great for plants. How does it fare with fish? I got to see tahitian moon sand and it is quite fine. Havinf trouble finding the pool filter sand anywhere.

I've alway been a sand guy. I jumped on the eco bandwagon on my current tank. My 2 cents
1. Expensive for what it is
2. Attractive
3. No to little rinsing
4. Can be pita to plant delicate plants/cuttings in
5. Is cec really effective?

I got the white eco complete african cichlid sand for my Tanganyika aquarium. If i were to do it again I'd get the a bit finer eco complete or alive fiji pink sand since I wanted something fine and white. The african white is still nice though, would never have a problem with it going into filters etc...I just think cichlids would prefer sand sifting through finer sand though 0.5-1mm in size instead of 0.5-1.5mm.

That sounds great for plants. How does it fare with fish? I got to see tahitian moon sand and it is quite fine. Havinf trouble finding the pool filter sand anywhere.

Not sure about fish as I have no bottom dwellers. From what I understand, water quality also is a factor when dealing with barbel erosion.
Regarding the high CEC, I only add substrate pellets every 3-4 months at best which is less than the typical recommendation.
I would think PFS is found in most hardware big box stores.

They are itty bitty pea puffers. They blend in very well.

1489851357331.jpg

All six are in that picture.

Edit- pool supply store. I got a 50 pound bag for $12. Still would have gone for the moon sand, though.

Last edited:
They are itty bitty pea puffers. They blend in very well.

View attachment 296403

All six are in that picture.

Edit- pool supply store. I got a 50 pound bag for $12. Still would have gone for the moon sand, though.
I think I see some of the eco from the bottom? I think your aquarium looks nice though! Well thought out.

5. Is cec really effective?

pH has a greater effect of nutrient availability, (and it varies from plant to plant). CEC is more the soil's ability to "hold" onto nutrients and in agriculture, prevent them from running off. CEC has a correlation to surface area, so a sandy soil will have a lower CEC than a clay or silt soil. So yes, CEC is very important on land, but I'm not sure about the home aquarium.

Yes I understand its importance. I was questioning its value in eco complete. I also should have added that we also have not way to know how effective it is if it is at all

Energizer.....havent seen you in awhile. Where u been.

I'm thinking that CEC activity might be more effective in water since the cations can be readily transported to the attachment sites (in this case, the EC surface). But I'm no scientist. Science aside, it has proven to be an effective plant substrate for me. If I were to try another substrate, it would be Brightwell's FlorinVolcanit.

I'm thinking that CEC activity might be more effective in water since the cations can be readily transported to the attachment sites (in this case, the EC surface). But I'm no scientist. Science aside, it has proven to be an effective plant substrate for me. If I were to try another substrate, it would be Brightwell's FlorinVolcanit.
I agree effective. But for me it hasnt trumped soil/sand tanks ive had in past. I think id feel better if it was cheaper lol

I agree effective. But for me it hasnt trumped soil/sand tanks ive had in past. I think id feel better if it was cheaper lol

I just can't get past the "messy" factor with soil if you disturb it (e.g. - while pulling out a crypt). However, if you've seen what my tank looks like during a major rescape then would swear I was working with soil. Chocolate milk.
I was lucky that I found the EC for $9 a bag (local PetCo).

Yes rub it in lol. Ive seen you mention the 9 bucks a bag lol imagine doing a 75 or bigger at regular price. Id rather get a kessil lol

I just can't get past the "messy" factor with soil if you disturb it (e.g. - while pulling out a crypt). However, if you've seen what my tank looks like during a major rescape then would swear I was working with soil. Chocolate milk.
I was lucky that I found the EC for $9 a bag (local PetCo).
None of the petcos ive been to over here have eco complete [emoji26] . The website has it though

Yep its really nice..or very similar is bdbs at about 8.00 bag

Theres lots of choices thats for sure. Ill give ya a hint

Overall its not the biggest piece of how successful youll be.

We can find awesome plants growing in any/all substrates. Whatever you pick you can be sucessful.

Theres lots of choices thats for sure. Ill give ya a hint

Overall its not the biggest piece of how successful youll be.

We can find awesome plants growing in any/all substrates. Whatever you pick you can be sucessful.
Ah Ill see. I just have to pay attention and try methods out

Back
Top Bottom