Aqueon filter question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

h2ogirl

Aquarium Advice Regular
I got the kit. I know that's a rookie move, but let's move on. I wanted to add an additional filter to make sure it is sufficient, but I have no idea which Aqueon filter I have. There is nothing on the box or literature that says 20 gal, 40 gal, etc. There are tiny circles on filter itself. One has an arrow pointing at the number 40, the other arrow points between 2 & 3. I have a 26 gal tank. Please tell my what I have and what I need to add.

I am taking a guess that you purchased the 26g bow front kit? According to the stores site, it comes with an Aqueon 20 which is a 125gph filter. Depending on the available room and your planned stock, I would definitely consider adding another filter.

Nothing wrong with Aqueons (I have a couple and like them!) but they do not have much in filter media options and I customized all their media. Granted, the smallest Aqueon I have is a 50 and this does not have much room for customizing. My guess is the 20 has very limited space. Hope this helps! :)

Thank you! It is the 20. I actually have the 25 gal rectangle. I was wrong about the gallons. That is the filter though. But holy cow, I'm supposed to be customizing media too? How wrong is it to just use the packet? My boy is 6. This is his tank and we are both completely green.

It isn't as scary as it sounds! I just don't think there is any room in this filter to use anything but the tiny cartridge but I may be wrong!

Custom media is really just anything anyone uses as filter media other than the cartridges the manufacturer suggests. In Aqueons case, the cartridges are flimsy and cheap and fall apart very quickly. So, my case, I kept the blue plastic 'grid' and used filter foam (sponge), filter floss (polyfill) and some other media depending on the room available.

Other filters offer options for adding your own media or customizing their media options. Aqua Clear (also called Hagen or Fluval) are very popular and their ability to customize filter media is part of the reason why. Marineland offers trays in their larger filters for customizing, too.

There is quite a bit of information to take in when your starting out so keep asking questions and we will be happy to help! :)

I have an Aqueon 10 that came with some emergency kit I bought and I agree, that filter is a pain in the tush to customize.
I'd swing by the pet store and get two things -
* Fluval Edge Pre-filter (or equivalent). This is a cylindrical black sponge that goes on the intake of the Aqueon.
* some sort of cut-to-fit foam, I can't think of a brand but I've seen it at the pet store

Keep in the blue wavy grid but toss the white fuzzy cartidge inside of it. Cut the foam to fit in the grid.

If you have extra space still, get some white polyfil from the craft store (like the batting you stuff in pillows) and shove some in there. Make sure it's NOT flame-retardant (that has chemicals)

green scrubby?

I read for hours on this, but have not seen any pics. 1. Will a green scrubby work in place of the cartridge instead of an official pet store sponge? 2. Where do I stuff the poly fill? Within the blue grid thing with the sponge material, or around the outside of it? 3. I rinse these things in old aquarium water water and put them back, right? How often? Depends on bioload? How do I know when it's time? Maybe it's obvious, but I've never seen any of this in action. Our tank is still sitting there in it's box. So many new things to learn! 4. Thank you so much! I don't know how people or fish survived prior to the internet.

Green scrubbies are awesome. Just make sure they don't have yellow sponge with chemicals attached.

So if the wavy blue thing is at the front of the filter, put the green scrubby inside it (cut to fit), and then put the polyfill at the back behind the scrubby
I'm not in a position to do so right now but I'll try to take a pic later

And yes, rinse in old aquarium water. Basically just whenever it's dirty. Some of my sponges get so gunky I do it every week, some I still haven't done after a month and a half.
i suggested you get one of those cylindrical sponges to fit over the filter intake because then most of the gross stuff gets stuck to that, and you won't need to clean out the stuff IN the filter as often.
You can get the sponge off the intake easily without making a mess by putting a sandwich baggie in the water, letting the water flow in, then you bring it up around the sponge and hold it in the baggie while you pull it off. That way you don't send puffs of dirty gunk all over the water.

threnjen is rad

threnjen you give me great advice every time a post a question! Thank you for taking so much time to help save the fish!!

LOL thank you!!

I attached two pics although the second one is totally indistinguishable from a black blob. My phone was just not cooperating to take a picture of the intake through the blue water (I'm medicating with methylene blue this is my hospital tank)

The first one has the inside of my aqueon. I actually meant to keep in the wavy blue cartridge holder but I forgot to put it in and then I stuck in bio balls and it didn't seem worth the bother to dig them back out.
Mostly I wanted to show you how I just shoved in polyfill pretty much wherever.
You just don't want to stuff it so tight that it restricts the flow. I just put a little bit i the left part of the filter so I didn't mess with the flow. To be honest I just eyeballed the amount. Looked at how it flowed with and without, saw no difference, called it good. Was just trying to fill in any empty space with some sort of filter media.

I haven't had this tank/filter running for long but I can tell you when it DOES get gunk, it's ALL on the prefilter sponge and not inside the filter, which is awesome.
Your idea about the green scrubbies is perfect!

The prefilter sponge I have on there is for a Fluval Edge and it fits perfectly.
It is specifically this sponge: Amazon.com: Fluval EDGE Pre-Filter Sponge: Pet Supplies
So if you need anything else from amazon to get it as an add-on, cheap!
Or this third-party brand is 3 for $5, free shipping
(all assuming you are located US, my apologies if not)

Attachments

• aqueon 10.jpg
    aqueon 10.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 299
  • aqueon 10 2.jpg
    aqueon 10 2.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 119
Nice!

Ooooh Ok. Awesome. Seems like those bio balls serve the same purpose as the blue grid anyway? So maybe if I take that thing out I'd be better off. I'll look at the bio balls in person so I can judge the size better. As for the fluval sponges, I noticed those cheap 3rd party ones too, but I wasn't sure if a random 3rd party sponge could be trusted. I was going to ask that too, so you saved me the trouble! Thanks again. BTW I'm in Austin TX, so I can take advantage of cheap online deals. Heck even walking into the store here is cheaper than when I lived in CA.

Threnjen, I am bumping this thread back to the top, because I have this aqueon filter and want to follow up on some of your recommendations. I am new to this stuff and didn't know about customizing your filter media.

Regarding the aqueon 20 filter:

1) The polyfil that you shoved in the left side; you said it's simply non flame- retardant pillow stuffing. Is it sold in craft stores or in fish stores?

2) In the right side, you replaced the blue cartridge with "bioballs". Was that because this was your sick tank and those are for medicating, or are these more of a general use product?

3) You mentioned cutting to fit filter media to slip inside the wavy blue cartridge on the right side. What is the name of this product that you can custom cut and shove in there? Where is it sold?

4) You mentioned that most of the gunk will be caught on the pre-filter intake sponge. As such, why all the extra filter media in the filter itself? Is the filter media an important area for beneficial bacteria growth so the more media the better?

5) Finally, you have obviously removed the carbon from the filter. Again, I am new to this, but are you saying that "chemical filtration" with activated charcoal is not an important filtration method? Just being sure that I am getting this right and that the activated charcoal is not a necessity in a tank.

Thank you so much. I have only posted a handful of times and you have been very helpful to me thus far.

Filter media

Here is a picture of a bulk pack of cut to fit filter medium I got it at Petsmart. I think it was about eight dollars. It's tough enough to be able to rinse/clean and reuse many times. It actually filters better the more you squish it around cleaning it. Just another option you could consider. One pack could last years in that filter.

Attachments

• DSCF1054.jpg
    DSCF1054.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 77
Sorry I haven't been around today!

1) craft stores - mine is from Joann's
2) bio-balls are just a type of bio media. They come in pretty large quantities - I stole these from my main tank with has a huge bucket worth. There's lost of good biomedia for a small HOB, like the ceramic rings from aquaclear, which come in a handy mesh bag : Replacement Filter Media: AquaClear Media
3. What Old Scales said :)
4. Both! The more media, the better. Keeps your tank shiny clear!
5. There's a lot of controversy about activated carbon. I would say that the large majority of people recommend against it for standard everyday use. you use it if you need to remove meds or chemicals from the water, but otherwise there's really no need. And rather than use a cartridge like that, if you needed to use some carbon you could buy it in a little mesh bag (like an aquaclear insert at that link above)

Thanks for the great answers. I hate to keep asking questions, but I am very green in this hobby and want to do things the right way.

I am still confused about the different roles of the bioballs versus the polyfil.

In your filter picture, on the left side, is the polyfil that you have shoved down in there simply for mechanical filtration? And the cut out filter pad (as pictured by Old Scales), is that also just a mechanical filtration media.

By contrast, are the bioballs (or other biomedia that you referenced) in the right side of the filter specifically for biological filtration? I would assume that bacteria would grow on any type of filter media. If this is true, what is the advantage of stuffing in bioballs or other biomedia versus just shoving in a bunch of polyfil.

As I type this out, I think I am just confused on what a "biomedia" is in the first place.

I'm new too, so my advice may not be reliable. I got the green scrubby pads. I cut one edge and the size is perfect. It slides right into the notches in the blue grid that the disposable filter would go in. Almost like it was made for it. Also leaves plenty of room for other added media.

Are the green scrubby pads an aquarium product sold at petstores or is this a product you've adapted for aquarium use?

The kind you scrub dishes with. I read on another forum that people like them in filters. Also the plastic mesh ball thing for scrubbing dishes seems popular. I considered unrolling one and folding it to fit, but have not gotten around to that.

Back
Top Bottom