Aqueon HOB not working...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

N757QQ

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey all,

I am a new guy. I just bought a 55 gal aquarium, stand, and all the parts yesterday off of craigslist.

I saw the tank working when I showed up to pick it up, and brought everything home. I cleaned everything, sand, rock, etcetera. I did not clean the filter. So once I set everything up from cleaning, I started the cycle process, but the filter is not working.

It makes a horrible noise & the impeller is turning most of the time but it is not sucking water. I do not know the model. It had a lot of sand in it, which I have now cleaned out, cleaned all the filth & just want to get it working, even if I sacrafice the media in it.

I am a complete newb, I do not have fish in the tank, as I intend to go slow to learn the testing process, et al.

Any ideas? I have cleaned the impeller & magnet. I have cleaned the top of the motor that had sand & algae all over it as well.

Thanks for any suggestions... Just want to use it for a few months until I set up a sump. I already have to 29g for that.

I did fill it part way full the first time. I have since filled it full & cannot get it running. I just pulled the siphon tube, tried to spin the impeller with my finger & it just vibrates & will not spin without my finger moving it.

I may have found my issue, but I am not sure.
I read that there are fitting to keep the impeller from rattling jamming, which is exactly what mine does. Those fittings were never there as far as I know since it was doing this when I initially tried to get it running. I had not taken it apart at that point.

Mine is a magnet though, so I am not sure if that is just for a different model.

Back
Top Bottom