Aquiring aquarium today

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All right..just getting in with new aquarium. Ended up with a new Aqueon 36 gallon bow front deluxe kit from petsmart. It was on sale for $89 so couldn't resist. Thought I had a suitable table to use but after measuring Im 2" shy. Also got 2 25lb. bags of gravel and api master test kit. And that's as far as I've got.

Messed around with the test kit. tap water has ph of around 7.4. ammo is 0. I didn't test for nitrite or nitrate.

Messed around with the test kit. tap water has ph of around 7.4. ammo is 0. I didn't test for nitrite or nitrate.

In order to get the true ph of tap water you have to fill a cup with tap water, aerate or stir it off and on for 24 hours to let it gas off, then test it. This will be what your tap ph really is. It is helpful to test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates as well. You'd be surprised what those readings can be sometimes and if one is high you'll know going into things and can make a decision on how to deal with it.

In order to get the true ph of tap water you have to fill a cup with tap water, aerate or stir it off and on for 24 hours to let it gas off, then test it. This will be what your tap ph really is. It is helpful to test your tap water for ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates as well. You'd be surprised what those readings can be sometimes and if one is high you'll know going into things and can make a decision on how to deal with it.

thanks for the tip. I'll get that started!!

Picked up a couple more things today. Mercury thermometer, ammonia, and a dropper with ml. markings for exact dosing. Don't have an ace hardware around that I know of. The ammonia I bought is clear, ingredients says ammonia hydroxide. Doesn't have any foamy bubbles when I shake It. It also says no phosphorous. Hope its the right stuff. All I'm lacking is the stand and a few plants. Am I missing anything?

Picked up a couple more things today. Mercury thermometer, ammonia, and a dropper with ml. markings for exact dosing. Don't have an ace hardware around that I know of. The ammonia I bought is clear, ingredients says ammonia hydroxide. Doesn't have any foamy bubbles when I shake It. It also says no phosphorous. Hope its the right stuff. All I'm lacking is the stand and a few plants. Am I missing anything?

Look on eBay for a thermometer, using mercury is okay, but less accurate amd possibly dangerous for you and the fish. I bought on from ct pet supplies and I highly recommend them as a seller and there digital thermometer

Look on eBay for a thermometer, using mercury is okay, but less accurate amd possibly dangerous for you and the fish. I bought on from ct pet supplies and I highly recommend them as a seller and there digital thermometer

Correction, cll pet supplies

Will do on digital thermometer. Thanks for the advice!! Just got done sampling tap water per rivercats advice. Put water in glass for 24+ hours, stirring ever once in a while.

2hs3m3c.jpg

looks like:
ph 7.5-7.6
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

order of Test tubes PH, Ammo, Nitrite, Nitrate

Is that about right? Do I need to prepare for any thing?

the led flash may have throwed colors off a touch

Will do on digital thermometer. Thanks for the advice!! Just got done sampling tap water per rivercats advice. Put water in glass for 24+ hours, stirring ever once in a while.

looks like:
ph 7.5-7.6
ammo 0
nitrite 0
nitrate 0

order of Test tubes PH, Ammo, Nitrite, Nitrate

Is that about right? Do I need to prepare for any thing?

the led flash may have throwed colors off a touch

Looks right to me! Good luck with your cycle!

All right..just getting in with new aquarium. Ended up with a new Aqueon 36 gallon bow front deluxe kit from petsmart. It was on sale for $89 so couldn't resist. Thought I had a suitable table to use but after measuring Im 2" shy. Also got 2 25lb. bags of gravel and api master test kit. And that's as far as I've got.

How is the flow on the filter it came with? Im buying this same one in a week or so and wanna know if I need to upgrade the filter

How is the flow on the filter it came with? Im buying this same one in a week or so and wanna know if I need to upgrade the filter

I haven't had a chance to set it up yet. Its all still in the box. lol!! I still got to get a few more things yet. I guess I need some laterite maybe to mix with my gravel for my plants and Still got to build my stand. You might get yours going before me. If so, please let me know your opinions on the set up!!! I'll keep a good eye out for your posts also!!

You know I've been using the old mercury in glass thermometers forever, over 30 years, and never had any issues. If you want to spend more money on a digital one there is nothing wrong with that but it's really not necessary.

You know I've been using the old mercury in glass thermometers forever, over 30 years, and never had any issues. If you want to spend more money on a digital one there is nothing wrong with that but it's really not necessary.

I agree they are fine, I just bought a tank used on craigslist and when I was moving it, the thermometer fell and broke in the tank, the mercury went everywhere. I cleaned it two days straight, no problems so far.

I agree they are fine, I just bought a tank used on craigslist and when I was moving it, the thermometer fell and broke in the tank, the mercury went everywhere. I cleaned it two days straight, no problems so far.

Oh man, hate to hear that. Its pretty wild how that mercury stays in a ball and rolls around. How'd you clean it? (Just Curious)

I'm curious to know how you did it as well. Mercury sucks.

When I was a kid I found a small vial of mercury and fiddled with it all the time. Not a good plan but it looked awesome.

I'm curious to know how you did it as well. Mercury sucks.

When I was a kid I found a small vial of mercury and fiddled with it all the time. Not a good plan but it looked awesome.

Lots of filling it up and dumping it out in the street. I then took a rag and wiped it down for awhile, repeat.

Back
Top Bottom