Archers in a FW enviroment?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DARK Jak

Aquarium Advice Freak
first hello everybody! i havent been on for a wile. also i was wondering about having archerfish in an FW amazon setup.
TIA

In the past, I kept one in a FW tank for 3.5 years (and then got rid of all the fish and the tank). Did I shorten its life? I'm not sure. Did it appear to be healthy & happy? Absolutely. Nonetheless, Archers are among my favorite fish.

I have seen wild Toxotes jaculatrix living in FW in the wild. I have also seen them in the same catchment living it totally salt water. IME they are an adaptable fish and will grow to large sizes no matter what the water conditions.

I would be very careful in trusting that site as some of the info on puffers is just plain wrong.

It states that Fig 8 puffers are FW that can live in SG below 1.005 whereas by adult they need to be in brackish or else deposits will build up in the kidneys and liver due to its inability to control internal osmoregulation correctly.

I would be inclined to agree that the above would happen to Archers in FW. While they may look ok you will probably find that it will become more succeptible to disease and illness.

Mattrox, did you see adults or juves in FW as I understand (like a number of brackish and some marine fish) Archers spawn upriver and move into saltier waters as they age.

thanks for all the advice!
also mattrox i never realized that you were from australia before this post. :lol:

andywg said:
as I understand (like a number of brackish and some marine fish) Archers spawn upriver and move into saltier waters as they age.
Fish that live in brackish estuaries do that. I don't think archers are one of them though, I believe they stay in brackish waters their whole lives. I am not certain on that though.

I have seen 1" long Archers in salt water and 10" long archers in fresh.

Mind you during the "wet" season up North, I would guess the SW areas they live in do become BW. But the FW is always FW, a lot of areas are either in full flood (Nov- March)and flowing or a relatively still billabong (June - Sept).

Back
Top Bottom