Are Bolivian Rams bottom feeders

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jacpaq2000

Aquarium Advice Activist
My Bolivians only eat food off the bottom it seems. Is this normal or some strange finamana. I was thinking it might be because all the other food is eaten by my serpae tetras so it's the only option. Please help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Yes, they are generally bottom feeders. From what I have read, Bolivian Rams are rather shy fish, so they are not very aggressive about food. I hope this helps!

I don't have Bolivian Rams, but I have GBR with serpaes which are obviously very similar, and my GBR will go out and graze food from the bottom also. They do grab the food while it's falling sometimes (especially when it's frozen or live food) but it seems they would rather graze the bottom then put up with the feeding frenzy my serpaes go into most of the time. If I were a fish I wouldn't want to put up with my serpaes either unless I had to either lmao!

As they become established in a tank they will become more bold and grab food from wherever they can, floating, falling or on the bottom. But by nature yes they typically feed near the bottom.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom