Are readings ok

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollymoran

Aquarium Advice Activist
Have just tested my water in aquarium and have had to use test strips as have not received the Master kit as yet. These are my results

Nitrite 50

Nitrate 1

GH 4

KH 15

PH 0

CL 0

Are these readings fine?

My Nitrite was 100 Before water change but the rest was ok.

Is this fish-in or fishless? I believe you may have nitrite and nitrate confused. As you do not know your ammonia level, your nitrite is 1ppm and nitrate is still on the high side, I would suggest another big wc or two to drop your nitrite reading down to .25ppm or less and nitrate reading below 20ppm (assuming you have fish). If this is fishless, just continue to dose ammonia and have some patience in the meantime.

Hello Oll...

In a tank that's been cycled and running for a time, your test should show "0" nitrites. These are toxic to aquarium fish. You only need to be concerned with ammonia and nitrite. Both should read "0". If you have a trace of either of these toxic forms of nitrogen, then you need to perform a water change.

B

It is fish in guppies and tetras. I left it 30mins after water change is this long enough to get accurate reading?

The master test kit has tests for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and high range ph so you will be all set once you have it! :)

The master kit is on its way!! , have just tested again and the nitrite has dropped to 25 and the nitrate is 0, so it seems be be getting better will use the master kit when it arrived and test the ammonia.

Fish In Tank Cycling

Hello again Olly...

You'll need to test daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If a test shows a trace of either of these two, then change 25 percent of the tank water, but no more than that. You want to keep the water reasonably safe for the fish and still provide food for the good bacteria.

B

Cheers B will test fully when I get my master kit.

Have spotted another problem in my tank. There is a little baby "thing" swimming around my tank and I think it is a baby tetra! It is so so small and I have checked the 3 tetras I have and one of them is a little big shall we say. Was not supposed to be breeding them but one of them could be expecting or failing that bloated. Didn't notice it when we bought them. Oh god!!

Water changes will create temporary "pure" water conditions and this is most times enough to stimulate a female fish to lay eggs or drop a few "live" young. This may be what happened. Feeding a healthy diet of a variety of frozen food will help keep the fish strong through the cycling process. Tetras aren't as hardy as Guppies when it comes to cycling a tank with fish. Hopefully, they'll make it through the process.

B

Ah I c, should I catch it try and separate it from the tank or will it be ok in there? It is really really Tiny and you really have to look to see it.

Fry in Cycling Tank

I'd just leave it. Trying to net it will only stress the fish. They'll go through enough stress in the marginal water conditions that exist in a tank that's cycling.

All you can do is monitor the water. Test it daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite and remove and replace 25 percent of the tank water when you have a positive test for either.

Feed the fish a healthy diet , about every other day and just a little. If the adult fish are well fed, they'll pay little or no attention to the one fry.

If you haven't done this already, get some floating plants like Anacharis and Pennywort into the water. These are natural water filters and will help in the cycling process by using some of the nitrogen that's not good for the fish.

B

Ok will leave it alone. We think its a penguin tetra as when we bought guppies they were all male.

Back
Top Bottom