Are these good water conditions for my fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jovan

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank (cycled) and I decided to to check on how the water is doing. The test strips said: (I didn't check for ammonia because I didn't have testing equipment for it) I currently have 3 guppies in there... Will the be OK?
GH:120
KH: 80
PH: 7.5
NO2: 0.5
NO3: 20

Without ammonia being tested for and with your tank being uncycled I can't really say. The .5ppm nitrite level isn't desireable so offhandedly I would suggest a 50% water change. i would also highly suggest investing in an API Freshwater master test kit as it's more accurate than the test strips.

Realistically you should do a 50% water change any time your ammonia or nitrates are above .25ppm or nitrates are above 40ppm.

How did you cycle your tank? Without knowing your Ammonia reading, I don't think it's accurate to say the tank is cycled.

How long have the fish been in there?

How did you cycle your tank? Without knowing your Ammonia reading, I don't think it's accurate to say the tank is cycled.

How long have the fish been in there?

I took my water to the local pet store and they said it was cycled and ready to to go.

Fish! Fish! Fish!

Did they give you the readings for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates specifically? My guess would be no and they probably used test strips which aren't very accurate.

I would venture to say that your tank isn't cycled, especially since you have Nitrite readings.

Did they give you the readings for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates specifically? My guess would be no and they probably used test strips which aren't very accurate.

I would venture to say that your tank isn't cycled, especially since you have Nitrite readings.

Here's the whole story: I gave the water sample to them and they said it was ready. While I was looking for fish, they told me to buy some test strips as they will tell me my water parameters without me having to come back again for a water check. I bought them. Behold! They don't test ammonia! (They didn't give me any specific readings for anything) I feel like a complete idiot listening to them now... Is there any way I can save my guppies?

Fish! Fish! Fish!

Here's the whole story: I gave the water sample to them and they said it was ready. While I was looking for fish, they told me to buy some test strips as they will tell me my water parameters without me having to come back again for a water check. I bought them. Behold! They don't test ammonia! (They didn't give me any specific readings for anything) I feel like a complete idiot listening to them now... Is there any way I can save my guppies?

Fish! Fish! Fish!

I reiterate my previous post \/

Realistically you should do a 50% water change any time your ammonia or nitrates are above .25ppm or nitrates are above 40ppm.

I have a 10 gallon tank (cycled) and I decided to to check on how the water is doing. The test strips said: (I didn't check for ammonia because I didn't have testing equipment for it) I currently have 3 guppies in there... Will the be OK?
GH:120
KH: 80
PH: 7.5
NO2: 0.5
NO3: 20

What process did you use to cycle your tank? A cycled tank shouldn't be getting any readings of NO2, and as Mebbid said, you should be testing for ammonia. The API liquid FW master test kit is a very good investment. It tests for ammonia, and is much more accurate than strips. You can find it for around $20 on amazon.

ETA: To save your fish, I would probably do a water change every day until you get your more accurate test kit to see where you're at.

Back
Top Bottom