Aruwana Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fong47

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have this fish back in Asia and it;s very popular but I have not seen it in the US and I was told that is it illegal to have it here. This fish grows fast and can grow up to 2 feet or even bigger. The fish is called Aruwana. Is anyone familiar with it? Here is the video:

Super Red Aruwana

Asian arowanas are a protected species in the U.S. and not available to hobbyists. I am; however, very familiar with them and they are a magnificent species!

Yes, i am very familiar with arawonas and they are very cool looking fish. Wish i could get one at the moment but I don't have the space.

Having said that, so it;s not available. I have the silver one in Asia and we use to feed them Oscar, mice and even roaches. They grow very fast. They also have red, gold and green. The gold I think it's the most expensive one. Any idea how much if they sell it here?

fong47

I live in Austin and some fish stores have them. They are around $30-$50. The white or albino ones are about $80. Places around here started carring freshwater stingrays. I thought those were illegal too.

FW stingrays are illegal in TX and asian arowanas are illegal in the US so please report retailers importing these to US Fish and Wildlife. Do your part ;)

I live in Austin and some fish stores have them. They are around $30-$50. The white or albino ones are about $80. Places around here started carring freshwater stingrays. I thought those were illegal too.

Are you sure they weren't silver arrowanas?

Ya, asian arowanas are illigal but silvers are not. I don't think Jardinis are either.

Scleropages jardinii hails from Australia and are not considered illegal nor are those from the Osteoglossum Genus. Scleropages leichardti is listed as LR/NT, not sure if such a listing credits illegality and commands a high price since their availability is infrequent. Scleropages formusus, Asian arowana, are illegal.

Scleropages jardinii hails from Australia and are not considered illegal nor are those from the Osteoglossum Genus. Scleropages leichardti is listed as LR/NT, not sure if such a listing credits illegality and commands a high price since their availability is infrequent. Scleropages formusus, Asian arowana, are illegal.
easy to tell by the price tag lol if it was a asian aro there would be a very very high price tag on it.

When I first moved to Colorado I became friends with the owner of a LFS. He had a huge tank that took up the front wall of his shop. In that tank he had a mated pair of silvers. They were so unbelievably beautiful. When he closed his show I had the chance to get the tank and the fish for free. I had no place to put a tank that size.

You can bet I'm kicking myself in the tail to this day!!!:bad-words:

Wait, I am a little confuse now. Silver Aruwanas are NOT illegal in the US?

Can someone clarify this?

Thanks,
fong47

The silvers are legal in the us. Asian arrowanas are illegal. Btw i wonder how many spelling errors were in this thread lol.

leis are legal in the US

The best thing for me to do right now is not to have it and I don't want to get into trouble from the law. The one I have in asia is pretty big and it's so fun to watch them grow and eat all sorts of things.

silver arrowanas are LEGAL anyone can have them same with the blacks, and jardinis and the africans ....

Wrong. Reds are illegal.

Silver
Platinum (silver strain)
Black
African
jardini
Leichardti

Those are the only legal ones.

Back
Top Bottom