At a loss :-(

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The tank claimed it was a 54 litre but it has 40 litres of water in it only. I have 6 plants in it already along with a wooden log and two ornaments. The filter and the heater came with the tank so I'm not sure what they are. All I can tell you is that the tank is a Marina.

I plan a community tank and plan to put 5 platy's in it to begin with, month 2 I'll add 5 female guppies, month 3 - two balloon mollies, month 4 - 8 harlequins, month five is very much going to be dependant upon how my levels are looking, if things are going well then I'll add at least 6 black phantom, if I don't think the tank will cope with that many fish I shall add two dwarf angel fish instead. I have a big fish shop near where I live and they have given me lots of advice on what fish I can keep together and how many the tank will hold but I shall most definitely be playing it all by ear as to when I add the fish.

Just so you know, you have nowhere near water volume or space for all those fish. 40 lites is only about 10.5 gallons. You would be pretty much fully stocked at your platies. In fact, i would start with only 3 platies and see how it goes. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

I see a case of MTS (multiple tank syndrome) on the horizon! :D
If you wind up overstocking because you simply want the fish regardless, please know you're in for a lot of water changes and possible losses.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm guessing it's a hob type filter as it sticks to the glass with suction cups. I don't know anything about the plants I bought to be honest, will have to do some research into that, there wasn't that many plants to choose from at the shop so when these plants have had their day I'll replace them with a bit more information behind me.

Of course I'm very excited about the fish but my main concern is for their welfare, I'm in my 40's now so I think I can just about contain myself to do what's best for the fish !

I have read that the fish will reproduce, I believe they're called livebearing and whilst it might sound horrible, I don't really plan to do anything special with them and just let nature take it's course. As for the fish getting too big for the tank I plan to give those fish away when the time comes.

I'm pretty rubbish with technology so it might take a while to get pictures sorted. I will keep you posted on my progress though and I now envisage getting the platy's in a couple of weeks time judging by what's happened so far, assuming levels are correct of course. Fingers crossed x

So grateful for everybody's help as I really was at a complete loss, I feel a lot better for all your replies and the new plan of action !

40s me too ,50 is comin soon!!!
I got back into the hobby about 2yrs, but in my day I had a few good tanks running, what we knew back then and still holds true. I kept fish back then , and refining my skills now, so its got no age limits. If you love the fish and the hobby, as many fish geeks we are, its done nothing but brought me happiness!!![emoji6]

Keep your hands wet!!!

Clem

A HOB is a filter that hangs off the back of the tank.
Is your filter is the little blueish thing with a little filter on the bottom and some carbon rock on the other side. has 2 suction cups on it?

Will do Clem ! Looking forward to many years of gazing at a tub of water :fish2:

Doesn't sound like the filter I have. It doesn't hang over the back of the tank, it sits inside the tank on a bracket that has 2 suction cups. The inside has some foam type pads and next to those is what looks like some sort of grate.

img_3311653_0_60a2da5de534056ddee052f56d8478c6.png

this???

I'm guessing it's a hob type filter as it sticks to the glass with suction cups. I don't know anything about the plants I bought to be honest, will have to do some research into that, there wasn't that many plants to choose from at the shop so when these plants have had their day I'll replace them with a bit more information behind me.

Of course I'm very excited about the fish but my main concern is for their welfare, I'm in my 40's now so I think I can just about contain myself to do what's best for the fish !

I have read that the fish will reproduce, I believe they're called livebearing and whilst it might sound horrible, I don't really plan to do anything special with them and just let nature take it's course. As for the fish getting too big for the tank I plan to give those fish away when the time comes.

I'm pretty rubbish with technology so it might take a while to get pictures sorted. I will keep you posted on my progress though and I now envisage getting the platy's in a couple of weeks time judging by what's happened so far, assuming levels are correct of course. Fingers crossed x

So grateful for everybody's help as I really was at a complete loss, I feel a lot better for all your replies and the new plan of action !

It isn't really about the fish getting too big, it is more about just simply too many. Honestly, what generally happens in those scenarios is that the fish all just live super short life spans and most will die after a few months at most. They will definitely eat fry, but often times you will get a few fry that hide out in plants and live to be bigger than bite sized. You would probably get more out of the tank if you just picked one of those sets of fish you wanted and stuck with them. I am honestly a pretty big fan of platies. Their colors are tough to beat!

No, it doesn't look like that.

I have bought a 54 litre Marina tank and the filter came with it so I can't imagine it's particularly brilliant, probably just enough to do the job i'd imagine.

That's the one !

I may have to do a bit more research on the fish I think, although if I do end up getting overcrowded I have friends who can take on any extra fish I might have to re-home.

Back
Top Bottom