Baby BiOrb Question(s)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shalihe74

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello y'all,

I purchased a Baby BiOrb a while back and am trying to figure out what to do with it. It is a 4 gallon (15L) tank that, at the moment, is cold water (66 F ish).

I was going to pop for a heater and put yet another betta fish in it, but reconsidered because I think the sharp-edged gravel that comes with the system would wreak havoc on flowy fins.

Looking for alternatives, I naturally turned to the internet and found some very negative, very disturbing reviews on this bowl. In a nutshell, they were saying how the bowl's shape is really stressful for fish (because of how fish communicate with lateral lines and how the spherical shape just keeps rebounding chatter... or something like that.)

So question #1: In y'alls opinions, does this sound like a viable issue and something I need to be concerned about? If I were to put fish in the bowl, would it really be the equivalent of putting a human in a room with a bunch of 4 year olds who just repeat everything you say over and over and over and over... ?

Question 2: Assuming the tank IS humane, and not some form of fish torture, what would you put in there? Oooor...

Question 3: Would you just leave the thing empty and enjoy it for its own asthetic appeal (and a lesson in buying before researching)... or sell it?

Many thanks, folks.

first I've heard of that....definitely interested in finding out more though.
I saw them in foster smith catalog, and thought they were kinda neat.

I am a firm believer that fish should have room to swim. Because most fish don't swim up and down I think that the round shape of a biorb is the worst. Basically the longest distance that they can swim is the diameter of the bowl.

I am also against the wall mounted tanks that are only a few inches deep. Pretty much for the same reasons. Although at least those usually provide more swimming space.

Personally I would sell it. Or try to use it as a little terrarium.

Good luck!

I agree - I think the biOrb is too small to really be functional as a fish tank. I wouldn't believe the literature that says you can have crystal clear water for months between filter changes. (If all you do is change the filter, you're throwing away your good bacteria, as you know from your cycling experiences.)

I haven't researched how the shape affects the fish, but it seems like a sound theory. Fish don't live like that in the wild.

I think your corner Eclipse tanks are better, especially for bettas. For this biOrb, I think it would end up being a maintenance hassle - just the narrow opening at the top would be inconvenient for water changes. I guess that's why they don't suggest any!

I would also either sell it or use it as a little terrarium.

How about some shrimp? RCS or something small? Maybe with some low light easy plants.

Because of the orb shape, you lose a lot of surface area when the thing is filled. If you only fill it 1/2 to 2/3 full, that would give a bit better area for swimming.

I agree with the others that it would be a maintenance problem, so it is up to you to decide if it is worthwhile to try to use it for something.

Back
Top Bottom