Back after yrs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blizowman1

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I am setting up another tanks after yrs of being away from the hobby.

I have a 60 gallon 48x13x24, I got off a guy moving for 50 bucks with a stand. I have a beamsworks led off amazon, bought for me, that’s 10k.

I am trying to go very low tech this time. I have 2 angels, 12 neons, 4 peppered corys, and a 1.5” clown pleco.

I have i tiny crypt wentii brown, anunbius nana, anubius nana petite, a rosette sword, java fern windolov, and three amazon swords. The rosette sword is tiny and the amazons haven’t converted to submerged growth yet. I know the swords will take over eventually and I’ll have to get rid of two, I thought I ordered one and got three in a bundle.

I have macro micro dry ferts from aquarium fertilizer.com, and flourish root tabs. If I can get away with no excel or co2 I’m gonna try.

My question is what kind of other fish should I add, I honestly thought about four more peppered corys and about 20 more neons and maybe just letting that be it. I will slowly add more plants as I can buy them, and my nutrients get higher. No ammonia, or nitrites, and my nitrates are around 5.

I just didn’t know if anyone knew of any cool fish I could add to bring more life or color into the tank. I’ve been away so long I feel lost getting back into the hobby.

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome back to tank keeping!

I enjoy Neons but also like the Green Neons and they group up together, though know their own and do stay in their group within the group.

Another fish I really enjoy is Microdevario Kubotai. They like the upper 1/4 of the tank and are really active.

Do you think the 10k beamsworks led will be good enough for a low tech low light tank

I almost bought a pretty green Female Betta today while looking around at petsmart and added it to the tank but I decided not to, I just wasn’t sure if it was a good idea or not

I almost bought a pretty green Female Betta today while looking around at petsmart and added it to the tank but I decided not to, I just wasn’t sure if it was a good idea or not

Probably not, I have kept them in communities before but it depends on the fish honestly

I have kept a variety of female and male Bettas in a community tank. It will have to do with the personality of the fish, and not having very aggressive other fish which would bother the Betta (m or f).

There would be a few things to consider. Off the top of my head:
one male only - obviously could be territory issues.
If it is a young female it might later show itself to be a male. A situation which I ended up with in a Betta Sorority I had.
Getting a Betta Log, but also some floating stem plants that could be little hammocks for them in the upper end of the tank. They love being up at the top for air, sleeping and resting. I think also because there is less water pressure. The plants in the less flow corner or side of the tank.

Watching the amount of flow. Maybe lower it at first.

In getting a Betta from a cup at the store, they are pretty weak and need some time to build up their muscles.

Also the longer the fins the more complications of snagging fins on sharp branches or decorations.

Just look out for danger zones. They do like to wedge themselves into small spots as well especially around back of the filter tube.

And they do jump.

Last edited:
Well just getting back into the hobby and already found a 125 with a stand for 100 bucks, probably be around summer before I set it up. My biggest concern is getting my floor and tank level for all that weight

Just thought I show off some of my fish with a rare sighting of a clown pleco. Does it look like I have opposite sex angels if anyone knows

Attachments

• 66689145-C398-4AA8-986A-CA20418E60A0.jpg
    66689145-C398-4AA8-986A-CA20418E60A0.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 35
  • C178C4C8-3E3D-481D-B3C2-409AC47B23E2.jpg
    C178C4C8-3E3D-481D-B3C2-409AC47B23E2.jpg
    238.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 305B8752-8C84-46E7-B2CF-9B6DFE7FEE6B.jpg
    305B8752-8C84-46E7-B2CF-9B6DFE7FEE6B.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 39
  • 5F792EA3-0848-4E1C-A549-3CF7BC3EA6AE.jpg
    5F792EA3-0848-4E1C-A549-3CF7BC3EA6AE.jpg