Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-12-2019, 05:58 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Back after yrs

So I am setting up another tanks after yrs of being away from the hobby.

I have a 60 gallon 48x13x24, I got off a guy moving for 50 bucks with a stand. I have a beamsworks led off amazon, bought for me, that’s 10k.

I am trying to go very low tech this time. I have 2 angels, 12 neons, 4 peppered corys, and a 1.5” clown pleco.

I have i tiny crypt wentii brown, anunbius nana, anubius nana petite, a rosette sword, java fern windolov, and three amazon swords. The rosette sword is tiny and the amazons haven’t converted to submerged growth yet. I know the swords will take over eventually and I’ll have to get rid of two, I thought I ordered one and got three in a bundle.

I have macro micro dry ferts from aquarium fertilizer.com, and flourish root tabs. If I can get away with no excel or co2 I’m gonna try.

My question is what kind of other fish should I add, I honestly thought about four more peppered corys and about 20 more neons and maybe just letting that be it. I will slowly add more plants as I can buy them, and my nutrients get higher. No ammonia, or nitrites, and my nitrates are around 5.

I just didn’t know if anyone knew of any cool fish I could add to bring more life or color into the tank. I’ve been away so long I feel lost getting back into the hobby.

Old 01-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Welcome back to tank keeping!

I enjoy Neons but also like the Green Neons and they group up together, though know their own and do stay in their group within the group.

Another fish I really enjoy is Microdevario Kubotai. They like the upper 1/4 of the tank and are really active.

Autumnsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 10:21 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Do you think the 10k beamsworks led will be good enough for a low tech low light tank
Old 01-13-2019, 12:35 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizowman1 View Post
Do you think the 10k beamsworks led will be good enough for a low tech low light tank

Beamswork lights have always been fine for me, not as good as a finnex or fluval for low light but should be fine
Old 01-13-2019, 06:27 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I almost bought a pretty green Female Betta today while looking around at petsmart and added it to the tank but I decided not to, I just wasn’t sure if it was a good idea or not
Old 01-13-2019, 06:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by blizowman1 View Post
I almost bought a pretty green Female Betta today while looking around at petsmart and added it to the tank but I decided not to, I just wasn’t sure if it was a good idea or not

Probably not, I have kept them in communities before but it depends on the fish honestly
Old 01-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

I have kept a variety of female and male Bettas in a community tank. It will have to do with the personality of the fish, and not having very aggressive other fish which would bother the Betta (m or f).

There would be a few things to consider. Off the top of my head:
one male only - obviously could be territory issues.
If it is a young female it might later show itself to be a male. A situation which I ended up with in a Betta Sorority I had.
Getting a Betta Log, but also some floating stem plants that could be little hammocks for them in the upper end of the tank. They love being up at the top for air, sleeping and resting. I think also because there is less water pressure. The plants in the less flow corner or side of the tank.

Watching the amount of flow. Maybe lower it at first.

In getting a Betta from a cup at the store, they are pretty weak and need some time to build up their muscles.

Also the longer the fins the more complications of snagging fins on sharp branches or decorations.

Just look out for danger zones. They do like to wedge themselves into small spots as well especially around back of the filter tube.

And they do jump.

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Old 01-21-2019, 09:11 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Well just getting back into the hobby and already found a 125 with a stand for 100 bucks, probably be around summer before I set it up. My biggest concern is getting my floor and tank level for all that weight
Old 01-22-2019, 02:31 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

Smart thinking!

New to FW fish? First tank in a long time or EVER??? Need some info on keeping fish?
Start here - Aquarium Advice Article
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide...ater-aquarium/

Community Rules
https://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ork&page=rules

FW & SW
Favorite tank right now -5G Spec V Snails & Betta
Old 01-30-2019, 07:47 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Just thought I show off some of my fish with a rare sighting of a clown pleco. Does it look like I have opposite sex angels if anyone knows
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	66689145-C398-4AA8-986A-CA20418E60A0.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	265.0 KB
ID:	311897   Click image for larger version

Name:	C178C4C8-3E3D-481D-B3C2-409AC47B23E2.jpg
Size:	238.8 KB
ID:	311898  

Click image for larger version

Name:	305B8752-8C84-46E7-B2CF-9B6DFE7FEE6B.jpg
Size:	252.6 KB
ID:	311899   Click image for larger version

Name:	5F792EA3-0848-4E1C-A549-3CF7BC3EA6AE.jpg
Size:	257.8 KB
ID:	311900  

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com