Back in the game after 10-ish years

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haphazzard

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum. I just picked up a new 46g bow front. I had about a dozen tanks ranging from 20g to 210g years ago but got out of the hobby after a divorce. I'm back, and quite a bit has changed in the hobby while I was away! I wanted to get opinions on some of the products I have chosen and my planned set up. I'm thinking I want to do a middle of the road planted set up. I have not even begun to think about the exact flora/fauna yet but I am pretty well versed on that subject and fish and plants requirements don't change much ; -). Here is what I'm thinking so far...

46g bow front tank

Ehiem 2213 or 2215 I know the 2215 may be a little over kill but the classics always had low flow rates in my experience.

2 150w Jager heaters I always run two heaters, even Jagers crap out some times and I keep my house cold.

A inline uv sterilizer. Maybe a aqua top 10w?

Finnex 24-7 LED light, this looks like a really cool unit and if I needed to supplement more light during the peek hours that wouldn't be a big deal.

For the substrate I feel the need to mix a bunch of crap together like I did in the old days but I have been told that ada new amazonia is fine all on its own and that it releases ammonia at first which will aid in fish less cycle.

I will most likely do a diy co2 unless the need arises for a more complex system any suggestions for good systems in case I decide to jump in right away?

So what do you all think? I am not really going with much new tech I feel comfortable with the stuff that I have used in the past but if anyone has suggestions for heaters or filter I will check them out. Also I am really having a hard time with the substrate, I tend to re-scape and move stuff around often so I don't really want to use dirt, been there, done that, hated it.

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T337A using Tapatalk

Hi, welcome to the forum!

Can I tempt you into injected CO2? :) I can't comment on equipment as I'm not based in US but having gone to CO2 here I'd never go back unless I got out of plants all together.

I have been looking at co2 the last couple days, I will probably add it at some point but all this tuff adds up quick!

I have the Finnex 24/7 Planted and I love it. I haven't used it with plants as the tank is still cycling but the light looks so much better and realistic that the regular bulbs you get.

Sent from my SM-G386T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have an ehim 2215 in my 46 bowfront, never has failed me. If you are worried about current, get a spray bar that helps a lot.

Hi everyone, the tank is up and running, 4 days into the cycle now.

I went with a 2215 I cut the spray bar down a little so I could put it on the end of the tank and I drilled a few extra holes in it.

I did go with the finnex 24/7 I like it so far but I do worry that the darkest setting at night is a little too bright.

I was reading conflicting opinions on substrates so I decided to layer ada amazonia over fluval stratum we will see how it goes.

I did get a co2 system set up I have it running 2 bubbles a second, 6 hours a day for now. I want to get b a drop checker but haven't found one locally so I just need to order one.

I have a bunch of various plants in there now, some will stay, some will be replaced, it was slim pickings when I went plant shopping.

The amazonia is holding my ammonia at 1.5 ppm. Once that cycles I will start looking for fish I am having a hard time settling on what fish I want. Having one tank will be hard!

You leave your lights on 24x7?

Let me know how that substrate goes, I'm looking into substrate options as well.

If you are a DIY guy you should look at building some co2 reactors. They will maximize your co2 efficiency. You can build one easy enough and you just have to do some quick plumbing on your ehim.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The finnex 24/7 has a day cycle setting so it automatically cycles sunrise , full sun , sunset and night time.

There seems to be a love/hate thing online for both the ada and fluval substrate, so far it seems OK there was a good bit of cloudyness for a couple days and it releases some ammonia but it is doing a fishless cycle for me so I'm good with it.

I have been looking at reactors and will most likely make something up at some point.

Back
Top Bottom