Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-18-2017, 05:59 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

Back with an update

I set up a 20G tank. With miss information on how to cycle a tank I'm now in the process of fish in cycle. A week ago I had higher amonia readings. I did a 20 to 30 percent water change last night. The picture shows my water readings now. Should I be doing another water change? I guess I've been trying to read online about what to expect. I'm still a little foggy as to what to expect and how often I should be doing water changes. I will say that two days ago I did a 50Click image for larger version

Name:	1484776719048.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	177.9 KB
ID:	293482 percent water change as all my readings were high.

Old 01-18-2017, 06:43 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

There's really no such thing as too many water changes (make sure you're using a quality conditioner like Seachem Prime to help detoxify the ammonia and nitrites), and yep, absolutely need to do several large ones ASAP.

Here's a great guide on fish-in cycling- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just...fish-what-now/

Old 01-18-2017, 08:31 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I agree with Vic.

On the plus side, it looks like there's a bit of a tinge of orange in the nitrates.

http://injaf.org/
http://thedelicion.com
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
I agree with Vic.

On the plus side, it looks like there's a bit of a tinge of orange in the nitrates.
Yeah that's what I'm detecting too. So it must be that the cycle is well on its way?
Old 01-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic Vega View Post
There's really no such thing as too many water changes (make sure you're using a quality conditioner like Seachem Prime to help detoxify the ammonia and nitrites), and yep, absolutely need to do several large ones ASAP.

Here's a great guide on fish-in cycling- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just...fish-what-now/
Thanks for the link!! I'll do another water change tonight. I just didn't want to be doing too many, if that's even possible.
Old 01-18-2017, 08:35 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytoowen View Post
Yeah that's what I'm detecting too. So it must be that the cycle is well on its way?
It's getting there!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytoowen View Post
Thanks for the link!! I'll do another water change tonight. I just didn't want to be doing too many, if that's even possible.
In a situation like this, it's a balancing act. You need ammonia to feed the nitrifying bacteria, but you need to not poison your fish. Daily changes should be good.

http://injaf.org/
http://thedelicion.com
nirbhao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:37 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nirbhao View Post
It's getting there!

In a situation like this, it's a balancing act. You need ammonia to feed the nitrifying bacteria, but you need to not poison your fish. Daily changes should be good.
Awesome. Will do!!
Old 02-17-2017, 01:23 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Activist

I used stability to help with my cycle. it's basically bacteria booster. I also add it to my tank whenever i add new fish.
Good luck!!! (the chemical part is my least favorite part about fish keeping. Stay strong!)
Old 02-17-2017, 01:51 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Regular

Thanks guppy guy!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Regular

Mommytowen just wanted to add that when I cycle a new tank I keep my ammonia readings below .25ppm. That way you still have some ammonia to cycle with. Use seachem to help protect your fish. Also, it will help to reduce feeding your fish, this will help keep ammonia down. Have a great day.

Tags
ate

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com