Back with an update

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mommytoowen

Aquarium Advice Regular
I set up a 20G tank. With miss information on how to cycle a tank I'm now in the process of fish in cycle. A week ago I had higher amonia readings. I did a 20 to 30 percent water change last night. The picture shows my water readings now. Should I be doing another water change? I guess I've been trying to read online about what to expect. I'm still a little foggy as to what to expect and how often I should be doing water changes. I will say that two days ago I did a 501484776719048.jpg percent water change as all my readings were high.

I agree with Vic.

On the plus side, it looks like there's a bit of a tinge of orange in the nitrates.
Yeah that's what I'm detecting too. So it must be that the cycle is well on its way?

There's really no such thing as too many water changes (make sure you're using a quality conditioner like Seachem Prime to help detoxify the ammonia and nitrites), and yep, absolutely need to do several large ones ASAP.

Here's a great guide on fish-in cycling- http://www.aquariumadvice.com/i-just-learned-about-cycling-but-i-already-have-fish-what-now/
Thanks for the link!! I'll do another water change tonight. I just didn't want to be doing too many, if that's even possible.

Yeah that's what I'm detecting too. So it must be that the cycle is well on its way?
It's getting there!
Thanks for the link!! I'll do another water change tonight. I just didn't want to be doing too many, if that's even possible.
In a situation like this, it's a balancing act. You need ammonia to feed the nitrifying bacteria, but you need to not poison your fish. Daily changes should be good.

It's getting there!

In a situation like this, it's a balancing act. You need ammonia to feed the nitrifying bacteria, but you need to not poison your fish. Daily changes should be good.
Awesome. Will do!!

I used stability to help with my cycle. it's basically bacteria booster. I also add it to my tank whenever i add new fish.
Good luck!!! (the chemical part is my least favorite part about fish keeping. Stay strong!)

Mommytowen just wanted to add that when I cycle a new tank I keep my ammonia readings below .25ppm. That way you still have some ammonia to cycle with. Use seachem to help protect your fish. Also, it will help to reduce feeding your fish, this will help keep ammonia down. Have a great day.

Back
Top Bottom