Backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LOL...what I meant by "careful" was make sure you have it sealed from the beginning...use as many reinforcements as possible. That will prevent water (even condensation) from getting behind it.

Yes, if you're going to get water behind it then you have to be able to get back there to dry it up.

Mine is just taped on. It is a bunch of plants and so on. Hides the ugly cords. If you want black then check out some of the printed ones - the reverse side of mine is black.

Also - very easy to change as the mood strikes.

We have taped on ones on all the other tanks, but have found it VERY difficult to find one that is 30 inches tall. I haven't been able to find one with a black backing. The only one I could find had rocks on one side and plants on the other. Then I came across the one that says that it adhears to the tank by itself, no reinforcements. Basically you just wash it with soap and water and stick the backing to the tank (ontop of soap and water), and slide it into place. Then push out the bubbles/water with a credit card. It is supposed to just stick into place without tape or anything. It says that if water runs behind the tank, onto the backing, that there won't be any water marks. I was just wondering if it was true. Or even if the backing will stick like it claims to.

I used plain black paper, but I've heard of other fishkeepers using black garbage bags, which has the advantage of not being damaged by water.

i bought a 2 sided sheet of plastic background from the LFS and i use the black side. It really makes my live plants stand out, but i also have a bubble curtain. Also the fish stand out more too.

It's not a dumb question at all. In life there is no such thing as a dumb question. In regards to the wrapping paper, the only thing that I could see as a problem would be if it gets wet. That would be my main concern.

Yeah, you are going to want something waterproof back there. Its 1.99 a foot at your lfs, you might as well just get it there and have the right stuff.

background

I sell Avon so I use the tops cut them down a little and paint them either black or different shades of dk. blues very easy to change in a jiffy!!!

I'm really anal about everything, so the uneven cut and patch job of my background is starting to bother me. Honestly, I know it looks 100% perfect fr4om the front, but my head tells me its not perfect in back. :roll:

Anyway, I ordered a precut background from PetSmart perfectly cut to my tank (48" x 19"). Stupid, but now my background will be just right; straight and square.

Sorry for bringing this back up from the dead, but I think it's a good discussion that would hurt to be brought back:

Anyway, I'm in the market for a background now. Growing up, we had the waterscape backgrounds in all of our tanks and I didn't really like them. Now that I am older and have my 20 gal without a background, I reflect back on my childhood years and can see why my dad insisted on using them.

I still don't think I want a waterscaped background, but I need something. Of course, what I've found around town in the black on one side and the different shades of blue on the other. I'm almost positive this will be what I get, but is there any site on-line that sells different colored backgrounds... like an all white or something outrageous? I want to experiment with colors and see what brings out the green plants and orange goldfish the best and I don't really feel like "painting" my own.

Before I go out and buy the black/blue one, does anyone have an idea which side would bring out more color? Seems that black is the choice of many, but perhaps someone has goldfish experience.

Thanks!

BTW, since this thread I have thrown away the background. Every time I spilled any water out of the tank it would get behind the background and look horrible. More tanks should come like my nanocube, a black built-in background with all the heater and filter materials behind the background. Looks really cool and sleek.

krap101 said:
is there any way to copy one of amanos tanks and use it as a backround :D

Those backgrounds with pictures of plants/grass/rocks/etc on them look really fake and unnatural IMO.

I've used a plain, solid blue/black background for both my tanks and the difference in aesthics is amazing. No tubing, wires, etc. showing running down the back.

Tony, to keep water from assembling behind the paper, use electrical tape along the top seal. I had the same problem and the electrical tape worked wonders. :D

krap101 said:
is there any way to copy one of amanos tanks and use it as a backround

Cost exceeds the value IMO.

I put a background on that you buy by the foot so you can get it as long as you need. They have coral reefs (that is what I have) and other scenery stuff. It makes my tank look nice. It is just taped on the back so you can change or remove it anytime you want. Petsmart has them for $1.99 a foot. I only have shells, sand dollars and fake plants so my tank needed some jazzing. I want to add some driftwood and more hiding spots when I can.

Back
Top Bottom