Backgrounds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

How do you guys feel about backgrounds? I have never used them, but I've heard some people say they really bring out the color of the fish. I don't want a tank that looks unnatural, what do you guys think? I assume once you put one on, its on for good, right?

the one i have on my 10g i can remove if i want look at my gallery
and i just made it to aa activist

I like to use a background. There are lots of natural looking ones out there. You can see the one I have in my gallery, but using the flash on my camera made it really stand out. It normally is darker. I just have mine taped on.

I have backgrounds on all my tanks except the 10 gal which I won't even be using. The wires in the back don't look so good. The backgrounds do bring out some of the color of fish and they make the tank look better IMO.

i only recently taped black backgrounds on my tanks and they look a lot better. i dont have to look at the cords and plain white wall treatment anymore.

Same here. I have black backgrounds and the blue mirrored background (on the 10 gal). We are trying to find a black background for the 150 gal, but that seems impossible (31 tallx50 length). If we find one, it will be black.

I just purchased some black cardboard sheets at Office depot, once filled with
water, you just don't see the "seams" (just stuck on with duct tape). Does a fine
job with hiding all the piping & wiring.

I thought of overlapping, but wasn't sure if the seams would be visible. I have seen a backing online that is applied with water and soap and once it is stuck, it stays in place without tape or anything else. Has anyone else used these before?

I use backgrounds on all my aquariums. On the 75 G I have a mat black with very pretty muted fern-like background that I got at Petsmart. It really enhances the rainbow fish and hides the cords. I just tape it on, easy to remove if I want.

Fishyfanatic said:
I thought of overlapping, but wasn't sure if the seams would be visible. I have seen a backing online that is applied with water and soap and once it is stuck, it stays in place without tape or anything else. Has anyone else used these before?

You certainly can. Just get the two pieces lined up along the color line and fasten it at that point. Can you see it in my 30g?

Can I just say thank you and wow! I just got a background, its starts very dark blue and fades up to blue. All of a sudden my tank is twice as bright and I can pic out each and every fish. They sell it by the foot at PetCo for $1.99, and its black on the other side. I had to overlap for about an inch at the end because the lady could not cut straight when she cut it at the store, but it is completely invisable from the front of the tank even if you try to find the seam. I am so happy, 10 years of keeping fish and I never had a background before but I will never be without one again!

If you want to try a black background, use tarpaper from your building supply. It comes in a 36 inch wide roll, is water proof and durable. Looks good , has a slightly textered look and flat black. I used it on my 125. :D

Has anyone used the stuff that you apply with soap and water and no tape? It sticks itself to the glass you can peel it off if you want to change it. But it will stay stuck to the tank. It's kind of like painting the tank, no water will get infront of it if it spills behind it, no water spots.

That's the one I use...I thought that was the same type you were speaking of. You gotta be careful with it though...water will get underneath it from time to time (condensation) and it's a real $%$%$ to get back there and "fix" it.

I was hoping that there weren't any drawbacks to it. I found one of those that will fit the 150 gal, but if it's going to have drawbacks, I won't get it. There is no way for us to get behind the tank. Blah!

Back
Top Bottom