Bad Stock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BlazedSaint

Aquarium Advice Freak
is converting ammonia to nitrite and nitrite to nitrate, with this said i assume my tank is cycled, i added 5 long fin silver danios, they were varying sizes, one even looks like a full grown female that is about to lay eggs i think cause her belly is fat, but ive divulged from my point, one of the 5 i bought was pretty little(looked like a baby) and he was more of a loner and was slow to eat, i really saw him in the "school" the others seems to stay in, he spent more time hangout out in my "pineapple under the sea" cave, well to make a long story even longer, the fish have been in there for about 48 hours, the 4 bigger ones eat like champs, are very active, and very communal,and as of 3 hours ago when i left the house for work they were doing great, however the little guy didnt make it last night(roughtly 36 hours in tank) could this because of his size/ability to deal with a freshly cycled tank, or could it be bullying? i didnt notice him gettin messed with, i mean they all seemed to play and chase a lil, but not really bullying and his body wasnt chewed up at all. can anyone shed some light on this for me?

If i'm not mistaken you are still seeing nitrite in your tank which means that it's not fully cycled yet but shouldn't be too far off. As for the fish dying, it could be from a huge number of reasons including infections, parasites, physical damage, bad breeding and a bunch of other things. Trying to figure out why a fish died when it has no outward physical signs is very difficult.

If i'm not mistaken you are still seeing nitrite in your tank which means that it's not fully cycled yet but shouldn't be too far off. As for the fish dying, it could be from a huge number of reasons including infections, parasites, physical damage, bad breeding and a bunch of other things. Trying to figure out why a fish died when it has no outward physical signs is very difficult.

+1 it could be a number of things. Adding a small sized fish to a tank that may or may not be fully cycled can be rough on them. Also, competition for food amongst danios is tough, they are supercharged pigs when eating.

+1 it could be a number of things. Adding a small sized fish to a tank that may or may not be fully cycled can be rough on them. Also, competition for food amongst danios is tough, they are supercharged pigs when eating.

"supercharged pigs" well put lol lol lol, i have never seen anything like danios at feeding time lol lol, they are intense to say the least, and right on guys my ammonia was at .25, nitrite was .5 and nitrate was at 40 so did a water change but apparently my tank wasnt as cycled as i thought, live and learn, however its making nitrate so i dont think im to far off of cycled, also i have the 4 danios now, i want to add 3 platys(1 m 2 f) since i hear the males will be aggressive to each other, 5 cherry barbs, and one bushnose platy, will take max out my 29 gallon tank? or can i add a few more fish, if so can i increase any of my current wanted types, if not can u suggest a type that would do well for someones first tank?

"supercharged pigs" well put lol lol lol, i have never seen anything like danios at feeding time lol lol, they are intense to say the least, and right on guys my ammonia was at .25, nitrite was .5 and nitrate was at 40 so did a water change but apparently my tank wasnt as cycled as i thought, live and learn, however its making nitrate so i dont think im to far off of cycled, also i have the 4 danios now, i want to add 3 platys(1 m 2 f) since i hear the males will be aggressive to each other, 5 cherry barbs, and one bushnose platy, will take max out my 29 gallon tank? or can i add a few more fish, if so can i increase any of my current wanted types, if not can u suggest a type that would do well for someones first tank?

You should have more than enough room for a few more fish in a 29g with that stock. It wouldn't hurt to increase the numbers you have. You could also look into adding a dwarf gourami.

You should have more than enough room for a few more fish in a 29g with that stock. It wouldn't hurt to increase the numbers you have. You could also look into adding a dwarf gourami.

right on, i think im going to add some zebra danios(will have 7 in total) and probably get 5 platy's and 7 cherry barbs, and 1 bushnose, and ill look into the gourami, i do like them! just thought they would be to big for my tank

right on, i think im going to add some zebra danios(will have 7 in total) and probably get 5 platy's and 7 cherry barbs, and 1 bushnose, and ill look into the gourami, i do like them! just thought they would be to big for my tank

The dwarf gouramis look big but don't require a big tank. Mine is the biggest fish in my 55g not counting my plecos but they only require a 10g tank.

Back
Top Bottom