Bala sharks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

90galWavefront

Aquarium Advice Activist
What do you think of Bala sharks for a community tank
It's a 90 gallon tang with Sward tails guppies red fin sharks a large Pleco some catfish and a couple of neon tetras.

Balas get huge! You should get the tetras some friends! They like groups of 5/6+, in that size tank you could do like 20 and it would look awesome..

Ya I know that, I had 12 in my old 60 gallon but lost most of them in an ik attack ( first one ever). I am going to get more as soon as this new tank stabilizes.
I know that Bala's get large. I want to 2 of them as the feature fish

Balas also like groups of 5+ so that alone puts you at 250+g tank. I dont think bala sharks should be sold as aquarium fish because 9.9/10 people cannot properly home them

Technically you can do 2.. They have one at my Lfs in a 110, it's about 13" and it looks stupid in that tank, I know using the word "stupid" to describe it may in fact sound stupid but that's exactly how it looks. There's been threads in the past that get heated over balas, they simply get too big for any average sized aquarium. So no, no balas in a 90, I'm not trying to be rude but it's simply just not a good aquarium fish as j stated...

Ya I know that, I had 12 in my old 60 gallon but lost most of them in an ik attack ( first one ever). I am going to get more as soon as this new tank stabilizes.
I know that Bala's get large. I want to 2 of them as the feature fish
I really wouldnt. They get big, really big and your tank can successfully house even 1

Ok no Bala then.
Thanx for the advice
That is why I ask, so I don't look stupid
Is there something you can suggest as a feature that gets large but not to large, and not very aggressive?

You like angels? A school of Congo tetras would be cool too! Gouramis and rainbow fish get kind if big and have excellent coloration as well..

I'm not sure , they are cichlids so there will be some aggression I'm guessing, in a 90 there will be lots of space so it may not be an issue. You could start an angel thread for better info! Oh and welcome to the forumn!

You can add a pair of angels if you'd like. They can get aggressive when breeding but not to the extent of other cichlids

Back
Top Bottom