Bala Sharks In 55 Gallon Aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Yo, I have a 55 gallon aquarium that is already cycled and with a 7in Common Pleco, a pair of 4in Pictus Catfish and a 3in African Leaf Fish. I was wondering if I could top off my tank with three bala sharks. I'm aware that they grow over a foot and need to be in a group of 3+. I will not be adding anymore fish after this.

Question: Is it a bad idea to add 3 bala sharks?

Chris

If you can move them to a larger tank later then it is fine. If you attempt to maintain them in the 55gal, at some points they will have issues because the tend to swim fast and get jumpy. The will have a heavy bioload that will cause issues as well. It is likely your Leaf Fish will be so stressed it will starve. Unless you have a 90gal-120gal in your future skip the Balas.

I can probably get a bigger tank but how soon will I need it? How many years can they be in a 55 gallon? At what size do they slow down in growing? I don't want to stunt there growths or anything I heard bad things about that.

Chris

I would honestly advise that you skip it until you upgrade to a larger tank. Your 55g is already too small for your pictus and the pleco. Cramming more fish in too small of a tank is just going to compound the problem.

In that case can you guys recommend some other fish that I should have instead? I want a decent sized fish(s) to be the center piece(s) of my aquarium. I already tried angels but the leaf fish just ended up having a snack.

Chris

In that case can you guys recommend some other fish that I should have instead? I want a decent sized fish(s) to be the center piece(s) of my aquarium. I already tried angels but the leaf fish just ended up having a snack.

Chris

Maybe Denison barbs if you can find them cheap?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm looking at the gourmais and RainbowFish and I reading that the gourami can be Aggressive. So would three RainbowFish and a gourami be okay? Or will the gourami attack the RainbowFish?

Chris

Back
Top Bottom