Bamboo shrimp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
They requires 20gals+, filter feeders so require a well established tank, like planted tanks also like to be in groups, they are quite sociable. Very cool, big, and change to a nice red when they are fed well and happy.

Aslong as your filter is well established like 1year+ IMO they shud be fine.

I'm in the uk, and ours cost roughly £6-7, so I'm guessing round 10-15$? Maybe.

Moved to FW & Brackish- Getting started.

I wouldn't use that expression, but they are Sensitive to nitrate and so a well maintained tank suits their needs better.

I purchased two recently and one died within a few days. My paramaters were spot on 0,0,10, and this tank is very well established, so not sure what happened. One is still going strong.

Because they are filter feeders, they will require a perch of sorts so that they can catch organisms coming out in the filter flow. I have two branches that extend up to the top of the tank and mine is always perched up top feeding.

Cool Bamboo Shrimp

These are so awesome to watch. I am on my second shrimp, though the first died when I had a newer tank and had a catastrophic algae bloom situation and did every thing wrong trying to fix it.

I think they are sensitive to not having good water as my really healthy looking shrimp became ill after I was on vacation for a week and my DD not reading the feeding instructions on the index card I left on the tank and she fed the tank a little of everything in the box I had in my general feeding box which equated to WAY too much food and gross yellow water and a nearly clogged seasoned filter when I returned home. I spent the evening cleaning that and the other fish homes I have it was the worst though.

That being said, up to that time it was beautifully colored and patterened, had molted several times since December, was always in the middle of a rock or plant cluster and eventually started hanging out next to the filter to catch everything.

I use some salt in my tank, but probably not the 1 tsp p/gal. some suggest since I have live plants and other tropical fish not just shrimp.

A couple months ago I got three Amano shrimp, good for algae cleaning, also so fun to watch.

Previously I had some Ghost Shrimp but they seemed to disappear too fast. Also had fun watching the pregnant ones with the babies scurrying around inside.

There was precious little info on these wonderful creatures, and I am also in need of more info so I will be keeping watch on this thread.

$ in Colorado

Mine cost $6 at the local mega pet store, I have also seen them for $10. at the other mega pet store, we don't have a nearby LFS. :(

Back
Top Bottom