Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 10-31-2004, 04:37 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to Psyhampster Send a message via Yahoo to Psyhampster
Bamboozled?

Today when I went to the lfs, i purchased a bottle of Detox Ammonia because my ammonia has been at about 3 the last 2 times I tested. None of the fish seem to be suffering, but i'd like to lower it anyway. I was also talked into buying some grotto rock, which the guy said would raise hardness. will this help the ammonia problem at all or possibly lead to disaster?

http://www.aquarank.com/images/users/1.gif Vote For Us!

20 gal FW
----------
2 Flame Blue Platies, 2 Micky Mouse Platies, 2 Flame Gold Platies, 1 German Blue Ram, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches

30 gal FW
--------

1 Marble Hatchet, 5 Silver Hatchets, 6 Zebra Danios, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Fancy Guppies, 1 Yo-Yo Loach
Psyhampster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Never add chemicals to the water to reduce ammonia. The only true way to reduce ammonia is with water changes. You will need to do PCW everyday for the next few days until it comes down.

Menagerie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:45 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

oy...
can i add the detox to the water that i'm going to change in? It says it eliminates chlorine and chlorimine too, so should i just use it for treating the water?

20 gal FW
----------
2 Flame Blue Platies, 2 Micky Mouse Platies, 2 Flame Gold Platies, 1 German Blue Ram, 2 Yo-Yo Loaches

30 gal FW
--------

1 Marble Hatchet, 5 Silver Hatchets, 6 Zebra Danios, 2 Dwarf Gouramis, 2 Fancy Guppies, 1 Yo-Yo Loach
Old 10-31-2004, 04:46 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via Yahoo to Devilishturtles
I agree with Menagerie. NEVER add chemicals to get rid of ammonia. Daily water changes will bring your levels down. And 3 really is TOO much. Even if your fish seem fine, it will eventually start to harm them. Get it down, asap.

Good luck.

Live in the Western MD/West Virginia/DC Metro Area?
Join our very active regional forum Here

Like the advice someone just gave you? Add to their reputation! Click on the balance icon underneath their username and let them know.
Devilishturtles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok, i'll change the water more often for a while.
again, will the rocks help the ammonia by raising the hardness, or just stress/kill the fish?

20 gal FW
----------

30 gal FW
--------

Old 10-31-2004, 05:59 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I've never heard of hardness removing ammonia. It might make it slightly less toxic, or slightly more toxic - I don't remember which. How does your current hardness compare to what your fish prefer?

The reason no one likes to use chemicals of any kind (except dechlorinator) is because they are unstable. For the case of ammonia - putting in a chemical to remove the ammonia will starve the bacteria that consume the ammonia. With no bacteria in your tank you will be permanently dependant on the chemical to remove the ammonia. This can lead to sharp spikes in ammonia levels if the chemical you are adding is not kept at perfect levels.

HTH Good luck!
Old 10-31-2004, 06:19 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

i don't have a test kit for hardness, so i'll take a sample into the good lfs to check it.
Platies- dH 10-25
Danios- dH 8-12
Rams- dH 5-12

20 gal FW
----------

30 gal FW
--------

Old 11-01-2004, 10:38 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

i didn't get the GH/dH checked, but i got a nitrite test kit, and it turns out my nitrites are VERY high, 1.6-33. I know this will probably kill the fish soon, so i need a way to lower it. This, combined with my high ammonia leads me to belive that my bacteria were killed off... The only thing I can think of that might have done it, is I added two drops of Dechlor straight to the tank last week.
Any ideas/suggestions?
TIA

20 gal FW
----------

30 gal FW
--------

Old 11-01-2004, 11:38 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Freak

water changes, water changes, water changes. Best solution to solve the problem. Just make sure you add dechlor back to the tank when you put in the new water. I would do 25-35% pwc everyday until nitrites fall to 0. Sounds like you are in the middle of a cycle. Your bacteria did not get killed. That is part of the cycle. High ammonia ---> high nitrites ---> nitrates.

20 gal FW
3 jumbo neon tetras
3 bloodfin tetras
3 otos....1 with only 1 EYE
1 long finned red serpae tetra
1 chinese algae eater
1 male blond tux guppy
1 male red neon guppy
...and 10 guppy fry!!!!!
Mofo2713 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bamboo, led

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com