Banded Leporinus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

athens.asad

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi , I am planning to add a Leporinus to my 60 g tank which has tiger barbs and clown loaches 3 each. Will it be a good idea . I see on net Leporinus is a difficult fish to keep . What are it's probable tank mates?

I would get a 100 gallon tank. This is a very active and nervous species.

Thanks Betta Owner, which other fishes would be good tank mates. I am thinking to add a elephant nose ?

I went to a pet store today and he has one around 7-8 inch Leporinus . It was chasing Bala sharks of the same size and the red tail sharks looked stressed, he also told me that this fish is difficult to keep as it bites the eyes of other fishes. Now I am wondering if I buy a small 2 inch one., will my clown loaches be in danger .

I've seen one at the vancouver aquarium a while back and he was over two feet long and the diameter of a football. I also used to have a small one in a 55 gallon that killed everything in the tank by ripping out the fishes eyes. Mean little bugger.. As nice as they are I strongly recommend rethinking buying him unless you plan on investing in at least a 120 gallon tank just to keep one fish in it.

Thanks Tali ..,sounds really horrible! Will rethink on buying this fish.

Leporinus need to be kept in groups of at least 6 if possible. Think of them as giant Tiger Barbs. With a big group and room to swim and plants to add sight breaks they can be ok.

Kept singly they are a nightmare. Or they hurt themselves if they panic.

But they need big tanks.

Smoke signals from my iPhone using Tapatalk

,Coursair looks you have some good experience with Leporinus ...

Can I keep a 2" banded Leporinus with elephant nose and clown loaches.

The elephant nose will need the bottom to himself he won't be able to compete with those fish. And you'll get territory issues when he matures, mine literally emptied my tank so I would say species only.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks Lesley :) I ve bought one 4" elephant nose and it's very shy . I have to wait for hours to get a glimpse of him from inside the plants n rocks. He rarely interacts with any tank mates .
@Coursair- Do you mean that if I keep banded Leporinus in schools it can minimise their aggression towards other fishes.

Leporinus need to be kept in groups of at least 6 if possible. Think of them as giant Tiger Barbs. With a big group and room to swim and plants to add sight breaks they can be ok.

Kept singly they are a nightmare. Or they hurt themselves if they panic.

But they need big tanks.

This is what I posted earlier in this thread.

Back
Top Bottom