Barbs acting a little strange...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

crockwood

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hey, so I noticed my Barbs are acting kind of strange. A couple of them were huddled into the one crypt I have and the others were huddled down between the two bigger pieces of driftwood. I did a test and everything seems fine, though my pH is a little high like always.

Are there things I should be checking on when they act like this? There is a storm front moving around my area. Could they be sensing that and taking cover? Not sure what to expect as normally they are moving around the tank constantly.

What type of barbs? How long have you had them?

We've seen odessas sort of form a ball around decor and plants at the substrate. They did it when we first received them and occasionally if they are spooked badly.

pH "a little high" is fine. "like always" is great! :)

a mixture of ruby and tiger barbs. I've had them for probably 2 months now and they are definitely comfortable in the tank considering they will eat out of my fingers.

This is new behavior, and they acted fine earlier today.

You may want to go to an interior room.... j/k sort of

Sounds like they may be spooked (or in the mood), could be the weather or something else. Have you fed them today? If it were me, I'd feed them to watch their behavior and then after feeding do a small water change. Just cluelessly throwing thoughts out.

Yeah, I fed them when I got up this morning. They all acted fine. The angel acted dumber than usual getting to the food but he's probably having an off day lol.

I'm wondering if its just the weather they sense.... its been really rough around here today.

Ha, yeah I threw a couple flakes in there to see if they reacted and they darted right for it. Then went back to the hidey hole they've found.

How big is your tAnk cuz when I had my barbs in a small tank thee would always act strange

75 gallon, they have plenty of room lol. Like I said this behavior set in quite suddenly today like in the last 3 hours or so. That prompted me to test the water and while some nitrates are showing up (~5ppm) and they are usually zeroed out everything else was fine. The nitrates are most likely up because I haven't done a water change in 8-9 days and I'm pretty good about 6-7 day schedules.

If your image is accurate, I'd suggest adding decor. Most schoolers and schoalers prefer the cover. You end up seeing the fish the more other stuff is in there. I'd say overall, it's most likely the weather. It'd be interesting (to me) to know what the barometric pressure has been in your area. Where are you?

The image is a little old. I've got two really large pieces of driftwood in there now, which is what they've chosen to hide behind.

I'm actually just north of you, up in Nashville.

Cool. Then I know the weather you're talking about. Rough on the nerves, but great for spawning fish! lol

Keep an eye on them, I suspect they'll be just fine.

Back
Top Bottom