Bare bottom, gravel or sand ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ironworker161

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi guys, I am currently cycling a new 125 gal. Tank that I want to use for fancy goldfish, ranchu or orandas. I'm looking for advice on whether to use a substrate on the bottom of the tank or should I go with the bare tank bottom. Thanks for your help.

I would think that it depends on your sense of aesthetics. What look do you like best? Personally, I like natural-looking tanks, and usually prefer gravel. Also, gravel gives you something to anchor plants if you go the artificial route. I have sand in a couple small tanks because the fish prefer it over gravel, but if you go with sand, you have to be sure to agitate it every few days to avoid anaerobic bacteria growths.

My concern was the build up of anaerobic bacteria, and keeping the tank clean. Some fancy goldfish types can grow to 8-10 inches, and produce large amounts of waste. Visually I think a tank with something on the bottom looks more natural.

Back
Top Bottom