Basement tanks and pump life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mattcham

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a finished basement with a basement bathroom. The bathroom has a pump that pushes all sewage out to the sewer. This sewage pump is activated only when the faucet or toilet are being used.

If I use the basement faucet to run my python water changer twice or 3x a week, will that cause the basement sewage pump to break prematurely due to over-use?

I think that really depends on the quality of the sewage pump... Your best bet is proabably to ask a plumber.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I think that really depends on the quality of the sewage pump... Your best bet is proabably to ask a plumber.

I agree on these suggestions as well.

Do you have a sump pump in your basement to keep water out? My basement is partially finished and I actually run my water changer into this which quite effectively pumps the water to an outside discharge without taxing the system. Just an idea to consider!

Well, the sump pump is also not designed to be pumping 100 gallons a week for many years. Or is it? I guess I can ask a plumber. Something tells me that the situation is too uncommon for the plumber to know the answer.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

depends on where you live... I have heard of sump pumps running constantly... Most sump pumps are rated for 10-18 gallons per minute... so 100 gallons is pretty small volume.

As for the sewage pump. Many people have a shower in the basement that is used daily by multiple people and that can easily generate 140 gallons per week just for one person. Then you include the toilet... at 4 times a day that is almost 100 gallons... Then you include washing your hands every time you go to the washroom... that is easily 50 gallons... then alot of people have their washing machein down stairs... which even the water smart ones are 40 gallons per load....

That's a really good point. Thanks so much for the detailed explanation!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom