begginer with stocking question.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BeardedGourami

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank and was wondering if this would be over stocked.
1 dwarf gourami
3 black skirt tetras
4 zebra danios
3 cory cats

Thanks in advance for your help.

IMO no... I would bump the cories up to 5

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

I 2nd this opinion, except up everything to 5 or 6 except the dwarf gourami.

Also, look into other kinds of gouramis as well. Dwarf gouramis are susceptible to a pretty awful illness that only infects them, and it's incredibly prevalent.

I 2nd this opinion, except up everything to 5 or 6 except the dwarf gourami.

Also, look into other kinds of gouramis as well. Dwarf gouramis are susceptible to a pretty awful illness that only infects them, and it's incredibly prevalent.

Not for a 20 gallon. Getting a healthy dwarf is a game of luck and chance.

What he is referring to is Dwarf Gourami Indovirus. It claims about 8/10 of dwarf gourami. It was created from excessive inbreeding and now most dwarf gourami are genetically weaker than they used to be.

I believe it is contagious to all gourami but is mainly prevalent in the dwarf species.

I've owned 2 dwarf gourami and loved them. 1 died of Ich (beginners mistake) and had another just died one day mysteriously.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

One of the LFS here has 3 paradise gouramis, one is albino. They're gorgeous. I looked up a little on them while debating to buy 2/$5 as I've never kept a gourami at all. Only 1 male per tank, lots of hiding for females. They're territorial and apparently fierce little fighters.

I have a 20 gallon tank and was wondering if this would be over stocked.

1 dwarf gourami

3 black skirt tetras

4 zebra danios

3 cory cats

Thanks in advance for your help.

Not a huge fan of this stock but with a few adjustments I think we could find something similar. Tetras, danios and cories should be in larger groups. Personally I'm a fan of the "one large school" look, particularly in smaller tanks, but aiming for 6+ for each group is a good start. Black skirt tetras are one of the more nippier tetras, they could potentially harass the more docile gourami. Zebra danios are extremely active and would share the same strata (top) as the peaceful and slow moving gourami, potentially stressing it. Other options I like would be cardinal tetras, rummynose tetras, glow light tetras, lemon tetras, harlequin rasboras, and quite a few other fish. A honey gourami would be a very good alternative to the dwarf gourami, but honestly the fatality rates of DGs is often very exaggerated.

Not for a 20 gallon. Getting a healthy dwarf is a game of luck and chance.

What he is referring to is Dwarf Gourami Indovirus. It claims about 8/10 of dwarf gourami. It was created from excessive inbreeding and now most dwarf gourami are genetically weaker than they used to be.

I believe it is contagious to all gourami but is mainly prevalent in the dwarf species.

I've owned 2 dwarf gourami and loved them. 1 died of Ich (beginners mistake) and had another just died one day mysteriously.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

May I ask where you got the 8/10 info from? Just curious.

I had a paradise gourami in a 20g, he was kind of a bastard tbh...

Back
Top Bottom