beginner here!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
my tank is a ten gallon- crowded already
temp is 79-80
no clue on the ph or level on anything i have no test kit yet
feeding flakes and brine shrimp
finding fish all spread out
i will get pics of them and my tank

now that i think about it i dont know if its the mollys or the platys. how long does this last? i've only seen one hiding in the plants. i checked my filter to see if any were in there none were. my black molly since i got her has been at the surface staying pretty still not moving around all that much. so i think it was probally hers. i'm going to keep looking for babys.

They hide everywhere in the tank. Ours used to hide around the intake tube of the filter at the top, I guess they felt safe up there. The shark will eat them if they aren't put it another tank or breeder net. You could try putting a bottle in there, but make sure the shark can't get inside of it. The fry can be fed crushed up flake food. If they are black, they are probably the molly fry. Mollies breed like crazy. It may take a couple weeks or months to really figure out what they are. We had babies last year and they are still not the size of their parents. My fiance's mother has them in her 29 gal tank and it's pretty cool to go over there and see the size change. Congrats on the fry!

Have you ordered the test kit yet? If not, take a water sample to the lfs and have them test it and report back with the results.

ya thanks got home from school and i cant see any more. they arnt all black look like there spotted alittle. i put a little mason jar inside with poked holes on the top. small enough that they cant get out. how many do mollies usually have? and how long does the female keep popping them out?

Well, we had 2 females and 2 males and we had at least 20 babies every week or two. Finally we had to seperate them and take back the females because we had too many babies to deal with. We could have just let nature take it's course and let the other fish eat them, but I love little babies. They are fun to watch from birth to juvenile.

ok i still only have two... i dont think they could of gotten eaten atleast not all of them because i feed them twice a day. fed my fish right before i noticed them. under stress do they not have as many babies? i still have the two in a jar.

what...??

I don't know what that was either. Maybe the wrong post. Anywho. I'm not an expert on Mollies because we've only kept them once with the exception to the one that I have now (needs to be moved to a bigger tank). But I would think that she would continue to have babies even if she was stressed, BUT, I don't think that she would produce anymore. I don't know if that makes sense.

I have a beautiful male sailfin Molly that I would love to breed. He's orange, white, gray, and black. Gorgeous fish. I'm just looking for a female that is of similar color and also a sailfin.

cool ya i just thinks its wierd that there was only 2? and they didnt come in with the fish. i would of saw them if they did. and does anyone know how to sex male and female african dwarf frogs?? and how often they lay eggs?

I'm not sure about the frogs. I've only kept 1 once and he died shortly after. He refused to eat.

I'm sure the Molly had many babies, but they were probably eaten by other fish. That happens all the time.

my sharks dont eat any of the flakes. and almost never eat the brine shrimp?? i have a red tail shark and a rainbow. i looked what to feed them and it said their omnivores and herbivores. so i'm going to get some green flake food hopefully they will eat that. anyone ever know what could be the matter??

It's odd that they won't even touch the brine shrimp. We always just fed brine shrimp and tropical flake or blood worms. Are you feeding frozen, live, or freeze-dried brine shrimp? BTW- I'm almost definately sure that the sharks ate the molly babies. Our bala's did.

they do eat them but only one or two of them. frozen but i thaw them before i give it to them. i just tried ordering a test kit sinking pellets and a breeding trap but they couldnt take my card. i'm going to buy them with my dads card tonight. so hopefully sometime in the next week i can give a result from my test. maybe the sharks are eating but just when i'm not looking. but all the times i've fed them they go up to the food put it in their mouth then spit it out and swim down.

ok i did buy the stuff but a few days later then i intended. i got the aquarium pharm. freshwater master kit, 2 way breeder kit, and some bloodworms... hopefully my sharks will eat more of those. i ordered yesterday so i should be getting them some time this week. as soon as i get it i will do a test. and how often should i do a test?? once a week or so?

If the tank isn't cycled, you should start by testing every day and doing water changes according (cycling with fish). Depending on what your results show, you could cut back to every other day or every two days.

If you are going fishless, I'd test every other day to every two days.

If the tank is cycled, testing once a week is fine. After adding fish, I would do one about every other day for a week, just to make sure they aren't over loading the tank (in regards to ammonia).

As soon as you get the test kit, post the levels. :D

starting a new aquarium is a lot of work, i have found that this site has been so helpful for me. One of the main things i learned is to SLOWLY add new fish.. one or two per week. My mother-in-law started hers and after he cycle threw about 10 fish in at once... needeless to say she started a whole new cycle and her aquarium is still having problems, but of course she won't let me help her (she doesn't even think she needs to do partial water changes, i have told her, but she won't do it, she also won't test her water parameters, and has an awful UG filter that she never vacuumes)
Anyway, i don't like the UG filters, a nice power filter is my favorate. As long as you add dechlorinator to your water you can add a couple of hardy fish... i used Zebra Danios for mine and then gave them away once my tank was cycled.. i still have one though. I hear mollies and plaites are really hardy as well. My two corey cats i had from the beginning and they are still doing really good.
One more thing i would suggest, that i didn't do, would be to read up on the fishless cycling, if i would've known about it, that is definetly what i would've done, i have heard people get wonderful results and you can add more fish at once when the cycle is done.
I am a beginner as well, but ive had a small 5 gallon aquarium for about 10 years (actually just got it back for QT tank), but i wish you luck...and i hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom