Beginner looking for advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

purplesmuffin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!
I would like to start keeping fish soon, but I have been doing a lot of research and would like to ask for some advice from some experienced fish keepers.
I am looking for species that would do great in a 10 Gallon / 50 Litre aquarium. Although I've researched quite a bit about what fish I would work, I'm still not 100% sure. I liked neon tetras, which are very beautiful, however, I really would like a fish that I can bond with (is that weird?). I feel like if I only get a school of fish, I wouldn't be able to love them like I would a slightly larger fish.
I thought perhaps I could get some tetras and one or two slightly larger fish? But I don't know if that would be too much for a 10 gallon tank.
I was hoping someone might have some advice on what fish I could look into or what's worked for you, or just some advice for beginners.
Thank you!:fish1:

Welcome to AA!

How about a Betta?

I don't recommend much besides nano fish and bettas in a 10. Have endlers and pygmy corys in mine and even then I need more room. Getting a 40breeder in 2wks to raise endlers (all male now) and mystery [emoji222] .

Thank you! :)

I actually didn't think of a Betta! They are really beautiful, too. Could I keep one with a few neon tetras? I've heard that Bettas prefer to be alone but I've just read that they CAN be kept with other fish, but should they be?

I've never seen endlers before, they look super fancy!

Would keep betta and maybe a snail or a few shrimp. Sometimes bettas don't want any other inhabitants in their tank.

I wouldn't keep any other fish.

Last edited:
The Betta could make a meal of the shrimp..... mine is a wuss and was afraid of the shrimp as long as they were with him.... but some Bettas are truly Alphas.

I am about to redo my 16g bowfront and plan on rehoming the Betta with some harlequin rasboras and some cory cats.

I know what you mean about attached though.... I am tretty attached to the Betta... the other fish, not as much.

I love my betta! He will follow you around the tank, knows when its feeding time, and any time my hands are in the tank hes right there by them lol. Very cute fish!

I love my snails. I kept a few glo tetra and a Molly together! They worked perfectly and mollies are very personable!

I love my snails. I kept a few glo tetra and a Molly together! They worked perfectly and mollies are very personable!
Mollies and most tetra's require more space, OP only has a 10gallon tank.

Purple... Please research before you stock your tank, no matter what advice you are given. Saves lots of grief latter. [emoji6]

@toolman, thanks for the advice! I think I will just put some nice decorations in for a betta then, instead of other fish :)

I definitely will research a lot, I'm pretty determined to give my fish great care so he can live as long as possible. Thats why I'm asking around for what species could suit me, now I'm going to go get information on bettas :) Thank goodness we have google! But it's been very nice having personal advice on this forum.

@paytertot, I've never been too keen on shrimp, but ghost shrimp look pretty cool, the name really fits !
Nerite snail shells look very pretty, thanks for the suggestions. I love finding out about new species :)

@JZK, I think I'll probably just keep a single betta then. Since he would be my first proper fish, I would really like to get attached to him, and if he is alone I can focus solely on him.

@Carrie1, really? That sounds perfect! Thats exactly the kind of behaviour I'd love to see in my fish. He sounds very adorable. Did you do anything special to make him that comfortable around you?

@ababin64, I've actually looked into mollies, but I've read that a 10 Gallon would be too small for them since they are very active fish. I think the black and white mollies are super beautiful though, maybe when I'm more experienced and have my own place I'll get a large tank with some :)

Nope he just learned that when someone comes up to the tank and takes the lid off its feeding time! And anytime I change water hes so curious he swims all around my hands! Most of my bettas have all been very fun and curious once they settle in!

Although it is cheaper to start with a 10 gallon, a bigger tank is easier to maintain. The reason is that it is more forgiving to spikes. If there is a small spike in a 10-gallon tank vs. a 50-gallon tank, the 50-gallon will be less effective. I understand that a bigger tank might not be accessible to everyone, but it is worth the investment. Also, with a bigger tank, you can hold more fish and as a beginner, it is better to have more fish because you can gain experience with multiple different fish. Hope you get started well!

In my 13 gallon I have 1 male betta with some kuhli loaches and some african dwarf frogs, and they are all extremely fun to watch play with eachother! I agree with the other members that a betta is the perfect fish to develop a bond with! I keep mostly bettas and have found they have the most personality :)

Back
Top Bottom