Beginner looking to purchase tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ryanw

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I finally talked the wife into getting an aquarium for our living room since our 2.5 year old daughter loves fish. We seen a 29 gallon tank, stand, hood for $225. But after looking around online I came across this 45 gallon(Aqueon 45 Gallon Aquarium Ensemble with Stand - Sale - Fish - PetSmart) on sale at petsmart that I really like but have to talk her into larger tank.

I was wondering if we go with the 45g would it be bear to go with a single marineland penguin biowheel 350 filter or 2 marineland bio wheel 200 filters?

Also what type of fish would you recommend?
Our daughter liked the neon tetras she seen.

What's an easy beginner live plant?

Besides basics like tank, filter, hood, test kit, thermometer, heater. What else should we get.

I know these are basic questions, just want to get it right the 1st time

Thank you

Anubias and crypts are good starter plants. Harlequin and scissor tail rasboras are good schooling fish to add after the tank is cycled.

Welcome to the wonderfully addictive world of aquariums. The 45g tank will be awesome as you can get some pretty large schools going in that large of a tank. Sounds like your looking at petsmart for the fish as well and almost all of the fish labeled community can go together. Your looking at neon tetras so tropical fish only. Don't mix in any goldfish, they have completely different parameters. All your tetras, mollies, guppies, corries can go in the tank. I'd avoid the petamart plecos as they will be 2 feet long in no time. If you want a pleco they have dwarf versions elsewhere but never did see them at petsmart. You can mix the tetras and guppies for top water action. The Julie's and corries will be on the bottom scavenging and you mollies will be in the middle. Mollies are huge poopers so not too many of those but you do have some leeway in a 49g. And for fun mix in a African dwarf frog to the mix. They are highly entertaining and very personable in the tank. Hope that helps a little. The rest in the research. Make sure to stay up on weekly water changes, buy a freshwater test kit and you can never over filter a tank.

That 45g tank/hood/stand combo from Petsmart is the exact same one that I purchased. I'm currently using the Marineland Penguin 350 as well. It's fine as far as filtration goes, but its fairly noisy. If recommend researching for a quieter one or going with a canister filter if money isn't a factor. You'll also want a better light if you're thinking about putting live plants in the tank.

The above poster gave great advise, although I'd stay away from the dwarf frogs if you go with the 45 gallon tank. My understanding with those is to keep them in tanks 15" or less tall, otherwise it's too difficult for them to swim up for air. Also I hear that feeding them can be difficult for novices.

Thank you everyone for the advise and suggestions.

Coyne does the combo need a different hood or just different bulbs? If I need to replace stuff in the kit I will buy separately that's why I won't buy a starter kit. Also do you think the penguin 350 is noisy due to the higher gph, that's why I was considering dual 200's.

We have no plans on goldfish once we actually purchase a tank and cycle it.

If anymore suggestions/recommendations/advice I am all ears and in no hurry to make a spontaneous buy.

Thanks

If you're doing live plants then you will want a new bulb at the bare minimum. I have lots of plants in my tank, so I ended up replacing the whole fixture. If you're just going to have a few "low light" plants, then I think just a new bulb will be fine. There are lots of folks on this site that know more than I ever thought there was to know about aquatic plants, if you're thinking of going that route.

I think most Hang on Back (HOB) filters are noisy, but I think the spinning Bio-Wheels on the Penguins just kinda add to it. maybe im just sensitive to it though. I have an Aqueon Quietflow on my 10 gallon and it is super quiet.

I believe petsmart has the reef sun bulbs or the t5 bulbs any hood would need for live oplants. The hood provided will work for these bulbs and they are right in the fish section.
I still highly reccomend and African dwarf frog. He started in a 10g and is now in my 60g with my filter pumping 400gph, a ton of current, lots of aeration and he is thriving way more and way happier in the 60g than he was in my 10g. My brother also has one in his 40g bowed front he bought at petsmart and is also doing extremely well. Feeding wise they are easy. Pick up a package of frozen blood worms, also in the freezer at petsmart, and soak it before you put it into the tank so it beaks up into individual worms and drop in the tank every 3 days or so. I've even gone a week. You just want em to sink past the tetras to the ground so the frog can go around picking them up with the Julie's and corries. They bring a level of character and personality to the tank that you kid will enjoy, very personable to admirers of the tank and even interact with you. Wouldn't surprise me it it becomes your kids favorite pet in the tank.

Thank you fresh n salt guy, I am definently going to look into an African dwarf frog once we have tank ready. I really think my daughter would love it. Now is it recommended to only have 1 of these frogs?

My niece has 4 frogs only in a 10g after meeting mine and no issues with aggression towards each other. I know with my brother and I the interaction the frogs have with the fish are hilarious and don't know if they would pay more attention to each other if you had 2 in the tank. Aggression wise you would be good, but they are so social that I think it keeps my frogs more active having to chase fish around for interactions rather than sitting around with another frog. I'm telling you, I have a lot of fish and a lot of them are worth over $100 and this little $3 frog steals the show everytime someone looks at my tank. To see this little guy messing with a 1ft pleco and toying with it is something to behold. My nieces frogs eat right out of her hand. It is all personal preference. Maybe even get 1, let it bond with the fish, it will be particularly friendly with 1 in general, then add another a few months later if you still feel you want more.

Ok that's great to know, because if we end up getting a frog I'm sure my 8 month old son will end up wanting one too. Just planning for the long haul lol. Thank you for all the great info I can't wait till I can take the wife and kids and hopefully bring a tank home.

Back
Top Bottom