Beginner tank help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

timboslice04

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all! Hope I'm in the right forum....Two weeks ago I bought a twenty gallon high tank kit . I took it home, set it up, and let it run for 24 hrs per my lfs instructions. The I went and bought 4 guppies, 6 glofish, and 2 cichlids. When the first glofish died I knew I had problems. I've done a lot of research since then, and already know I messed up big. I returned the guppies and remaining glofish, and just kept the cichlids to try to ease the bioload. I've got the ammonia lvls down to the .25-.5 ppm range, but now I'm wondering if I kept the right fish. I'm not exactly sure what kind of cichlids I have, and I need to know if/when ill need to get a bigger tank, or cichlids that can be in a twenty gallon tank. I'm pretty sure they are mbuna cichlids, if I'm right from all the pictures I've looked at. They are both about 2 inches long(atm) and one is solid white. The other one is dark blue with white stripes on his side and dorsel fin. Idk if anyone can help with those descriptions, but I'm use my smartphone and can't/don't know how to upload the pics I took. Any help/advice/recommendations much appreciated! O and if you think I should have different fish, please let me know a good setup for a twenty gallon....I really love the cichlids tho. They were a lot more interesting to watch then the other little ones.

Sounds like u should do another water change. There are some hood articles here on fish-in cycle. I can't find the link right now but ill look around and post it for you.

HI and welcome. The link below in my signature: new tank with fish is the article boadams is referring to.

As for cichlids, IDk, I hear they can be tough to keep. Plus I think your tank is too small for them. If they are Mbunas they can be aggressive with each other if not kept in a large group and your tank is too small for that. Also they can be aggressive with other fish. Maybe someone else with experience with them will chime in.

librarygirl said:
HI and welcome. The link below in my signature: new tank with fish is the article boadams is referring to.

As for cichlids, IDk, I hear they can be tough to keep. Plus I think your tank is too small for them. If they are Mbunas they can be aggressive with each other if not kept in a large group and your tank is too small for that. Also they can be aggressive with other fish. Maybe someone else with experience with them will chime in.

Thanx. Its hard to find here on the app.

timboslice04 said:
Hello all! Hope I'm in the right forum....Two weeks ago I bought a twenty gallon high tank kit . I took it home, set it up, and let it run for 24 hrs per my lfs instructions. The I went and bought 4 guppies, 6 glofish, and 2 cichlids. When the first glofish died I knew I had problems. I've done a lot of research since then, and already know I messed up big. I returned the guppies and remaining glofish, and just kept the cichlids to try to ease the bioload. I've got the ammonia lvls down to the .25-.5 ppm range, but now I'm wondering if I kept the right fish. I'm not exactly sure what kind of cichlids I have, and I need to know if/when ill need to get a bigger tank, or cichlids that can be in a twenty gallon tank. I'm pretty sure they are mbuna cichlids, if I'm right from all the pictures I've looked at. They are both about 2 inches long(atm) and one is solid white. The other one is dark blue with white stripes on his side and dorsel fin. Idk if anyone can help with those descriptions, but I'm use my smartphone and can't/don't know how to upload the pics I took. Any help/advice/recommendations much appreciated! O and if you think I should have different fish, please let me know a good setup for a twenty gallon....I really love the cichlids tho. They were a lot more interesting to watch then the other little ones.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/artic...g-but-I-already-have-fish-What-now/Page2.html

a couple of answers for you - not sure you really want to start with the chichlids. I am not really sure they are going to be hardy enough for a fish in cycle. you can post your question in the cichlid group (right under this one in the fresh water section) and see if they know better. that is where your cichlid experts are going to be. but... I think they like a very stable PH and in your cycle it may fluctuate some. not sure how this will affect them. I wouldn't cycle with them

2nd answer for you. posting pics from your phone. acutally very easy. go to the thread you want (like this one) and then click the button to reply to the thread. now, do you see that "+" up there by the send button - yep that is what you need, the rest is pretty straight forward. you can add comments before or after you add your pic and then just hit send.

good luck!

Back
Top Bottom