Beginning Cycle Equipment

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bigskybasser

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Even thought this is my first tank since early childhood I am starting off fairly ambitious as I have been researching non-stop and am willing to invent a significant amount of money into this. I want to know how you folks would recommend starting off as far as hardware for cycling a tank properly. I've been looking into advanced circulation systems such as spray bars and undergravel filtration systems w/ lift tubes. My question is if I should cycle the tank with or without these hardware additions for best way to establish denitrifying bacteria.

Which ever filtering system you choose you will need that in place to cycle a tank. The majority of bacteria will be in the filter media.
I personally would discount under gravel filtering as plants don't always fair very well. I also think cleaning is an issue. I would get a suitable external canister filter. They are very effective and easy to clean. Get one with shut off valves or taps so that you can take away the canister to clean without fear of getting water every where.
You will also need your heater in place as a temp of about 80f is best for bacteria growth.
Watch your Ph. Anything below 6.5 will inhibit bacteria growth.
Usual advice - try to obtain some seeded filter material from another fish keeper to bump start your cycle. Bottled bacteria is a bit hit and miss.
I hope that might give you some thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Wouldn't recommend undergravel filters. You can always add spray bars and stuff later as long as your main filtration system is up and running to house the bacteria.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Ok great. I've seen and heard as a general consensus that cycling your tank with vegetation planted actually speeds up the process and I have a piece of driftwood that I've boiled and soaked non stop that I'm planning to use as the center piece.

Ok great. I've seen and heard as a general consensus that cycling your tank with vegetation planted actually speeds up the process and I have a piece of driftwood that I've boiled and soaked non stop that I'm planning to use as the center piece.

Plants do help balance the cycle and add a natural feel to the tank. Fish love them :) easy hardy starter plants: Anubias, Wisteria, Amazon Sword (needs root tabs), Java Fern.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Plants do help balance the cycle and add a natural feel to the tank. Fish love them :) easy hardy starter plants: Anubias, Wisteria, Amazon Sword (needs root tabs), Java Fern.

Yes I've looked at attaining all of those except for the wisteria but it also looks very aesthetically pleasing and would probably go well with my intended set up.
I'm using some decent clay based thin gravel substrate mixed with black sand that I will use to plant things like hair grass which has finer and more fickle roots and java fern looks fun as well. I've heard Java Moss can actually be fairly tricky to grow as a carpet layer and often wants to climb or float. Is this true based on your experience?

Yes I've looked at attaining all of those except for the wisteria but it also looks very aesthetically pleasing and would probably go well with my intended set up.

I'm using some decent clay based thin gravel substrate mixed with black sand that I will use to plant things like hair grass which has finer and more fickle roots and java fern looks fun as well. I've heard Java Moss can actually be fairly tricky to grow as a carpet layer and often wants to climb or float. Is this true based on your experience?

Honestly I'm not a fan of Java moss. I have some in my planted tank shoved in holes in rocks hoping it will attach to the rock. All it's done is make a mess and get all over my filter intakes and my other plants.

That's just my experience with it.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Java Moss needs to be tied down. Eventually it will grip the surface but better to assume that it won't. Fishing line is good for this.
If you have cherry shrimp then Java Moss is pretty essential. My Moss is thinned out every couple of months as it gets huge.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1425853751.788119.jpg
That's my 4 foot tank with three areas of Moss on top of the big wood.

Wow, that is a Beautiful tank. Do you dose ei?

Sent from my 710C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Estimative Index. Dosing with dry fertilizer

Hi.
I use Flourish liquid daily and seachem root tabs. I dose with Excel daily and use a medium level of injected Co2. I have found that a moderate use of all the above gives me exception plant growth. I'm always thinning out and removing new plants from runners. I only remove about 2-3 leaves a week because of dying off, most is healthy plant material to give the fish some extra swimming room.
I love my fish but the original aim was to have a heavily planted tank such as those I saw many years ago in Holland, where they seem to have the emphasis on plants rather than fish.

I've had a couple questions about CO2 systems since I'm most likely going to be heading down that road. I'm going to have a heavily planted tank with Hardy low light plants accompanied by adequate lighting and routine fertilization. Where would I find a decent CO2 system and how much would It generally cost as I've heard it does make all the difference in plant growth and health.

Co2 system can be expensive, a cheaper alternative is diy paintball co2. You can research on google.

Back
Top Bottom