Beginning to cycle..questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

brybell

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I am a new aquarist and I am going to begin cycling today.

I am going to do fishless and use ammonia.

However, I have no seedling materials. My question is if I can cycle just by adding ammonia and having NO seedling material. Will the presence of the ammonia create the bacteria over time?

Are there supplements or bacteria that can be added in place of the seedling material that actually work?

Also, my tank has been filled and I have a few plants in there now. Its been running for a few days now. Should I do a water change before I begin cycling and adding ammonia?

Thanks!

Adding a couple pinches of flakes a day will motivate the presence of beneficial bacteria.

No you don't need to do a WC b4 you stay your cycle, by dosing your tank with ammo you will start the cycling process. Your goal is to be able to take 4ppm of ammo and turn that into 0ppm ammo 0ppm nitrites and to have nitrate reading of 10-20ppm. There's a great guide on here for doing a fishless cyvle if you have some time I'd read it over them as your going you'll have an idea of what to do and expect plus you can ask us along the way also always glad to help out. Now with that said 1st make sure you have a test kit liquid not strips, 2nd you need ammo pure ammo we all use the Ace stuff on here, 3rd a plastic syringe or dropper with ML readings on them for adding ammo not necessarily needed but very helpful for controlling dosage. 3rd water conditioner like Prime, 4th turn your heater up like 84 degrees give or take, 5th add your ammo 4ppm is your goal nor knowing size of your tank is hard to give you a starting point for how many ML equal 1ppm but a good starting point 2ML equals 1ppm so add a little maybe 4ML wait an 1/2 hour test add more if necessary after a couple days of playing around you'll have an idea of how much ammo is required to equal 1ppm. Once you get it up to 4ppm your done for the day in 24 hours test it again if it drops below 4ppm add ONLY ENOUGH ammo to get it back to 4ppm so if it's 3ppm when you test you only add enough for 1ppm 3+1=4 not being mean there just making sure you know what I meant. It'll take a few days b4 it drops down some but test it every 24 hours anyways you never know. Now lat thing you have some plants which means lights need to be on but a a minimum 7-8 hours at most you dont need an algae problem with lights being on to long. Hope this helps get you started. 1 more thing test your tap water also Ammo Nitrites and Nitrates. Post it for us that'll give us a base line so we can know what your tank is doing as is cycling and if you have a problem we already know what your tap is saves time giving you an answer.

Always glad to hear users going with the fishless cycle instead of subjecting fish to harm! Thumps up!

No you don't need to do a WC b4 you stay your cycle, by dosing your tank with ammo you will start the cycling process. Your goal is to be able to take 4ppm of ammo and turn that into 0ppm ammo 0ppm nitrites and to have nitrate reading of 10-20ppm. There's a great guide on here for doing a fishless cyvle if you have some time I'd read it over them as your going you'll have an idea of what to do and expect plus you can ask us along the way also always glad to help out. Now with that said 1st make sure you have a test kit liquid not strips, 2nd you need ammo pure ammo we all use the Ace stuff on here, 3rd a plastic syringe or dropper with ML readings on them for adding ammo not necessarily needed but very helpful for controlling dosage. 3rd water conditioner like Prime, 4th turn your heater up like 84 degrees give or take, 5th add your ammo 4ppm is your goal nor knowing size of your tank is hard to give you a starting point for how many ML equal 1ppm but a good starting point 2ML equals 1ppm so add a little maybe 4ML wait an 1/2 hour test add more if necessary after a couple days of playing around you'll have an idea of how much ammo is required to equal 1ppm. Once you get it up to 4ppm your done for the day in 24 hours test it again if it drops below 4ppm add ONLY ENOUGH ammo to get it back to 4ppm so if it's 3ppm when you test you only add enough for 1ppm 3+1=4 not being mean there just making sure you know what I meant. It'll take a few days b4 it drops down some but test it every 24 hours anyways you never know. Now lat thing you have some plants which means lights need to be on but a a minimum 7-8 hours at most you dont need an algae problem with lights being on to long. Hope this helps get you started. 1 more thing test your tap water also Ammo Nitrites and Nitrates. Post it for us that'll give us a base line so we can know what your tank is doing as is cycling and if you have a problem we already know what your tap is saves time giving you an answer.

Thanks so much for the detailed response. I have read a ton of the fishless cycling guides...I am starting to cycle today because my test kit came in the mail :]

My tank is 20gal. It has plants. Is it ok to crank the temp up above 80? This is bad for plants no?

I am heading to ACE after work to get some ammonia.

I'll test my tap water, and the water in my tank that has been dechlorinated. (used the aqueon stuff that came with the tank kit) is Prime a lot better??, and post them here.

Thanks so much for the information.

Temp won't harm plants you need the warmer wster for BB. Prime we all use for 3 reasons mainly 1 price 2 it works 3 probsbly the important reason is very concentrated so it last forever. Keep us posted on your progress I'm sure you'll have some questions at some point (nitrite spike) , we are here to help ya.

I still recommend the cheapo syringe from like rite aid or cvs but if not 1 teaspoon equals 5ml

Temp won't harm plants you need the warmer wster for BB. Prime we all use for 3 reasons mainly 1 price 2 it works 3 probsbly the important reason is very concentrated so it last forever. Keep us posted on your progress I'm sure you'll have some questions at some point (nitrite spike) , we are here to help ya.

Thanks!!

I am testing water now.

Tank water looks very light green, definitely not yellow. approx .2-.25ppm

Tap water stayed yellow, so 0ppm

I am now testing for nitrites and nitrates. Is it important to test for pH at this point?

Yes test ph you'll be sting your tanks ph from time to time during cycle to make sure it stays stable it'll rise a bit that's normal than steady definitely don't wanna see it drop. Your first test was for the ammo? Make sure if you have the API kit you follow directions to a T very important it's also good to wait 5 minutes after you do the test b4 you get your reading

I'm on the east coast so its 9 here. 24 hours is your time table for testing and adding so if it being later if your on the east coast doesn't give you the time you'll need to test and dose I'd say wait till tomorrow to get on a normal time schedule. Tonight may take you 1-2 hours to get your ammo dose to the correct 4ppm.

Remember Fishless cycle means patience mine on my 55 was like 3 days b4 ammo started dropping, probably a week b4 ammo went to 0 after 24 hours consistently, and almost 3 weeks b4 nitrites finally 0ed after 24 hours consistently 27 days total on mine but when it was done I plopped 21 fish in there the next day and minus 3 guppies there still doing great and have added 6 more since plus 8 cherry shrimp and I know I over feed and still read 0s every test I do.

Remember Fishless cycle means patience mine on my 55 was like 3 days b4 ammo started dropping, probably a week b4 ammo went to 0 after 24 hours consistently, and almost 3 weeks b4 nitrites finally 0ed after 24 hours consistently 27 days total on mine but when it was done I plopped 21 fish in there the next day and minus 3 guppies there still doing great and have added 6 more since plus 8 cherry shrimp and I know I over feed and still read 0s every test I do.

Just tested pH and its at 8...a little too high ya? it might be because i had driftwood that leeched some tannins? Is 8 ok to continue to start the cycle?

8 is okay mine is same, drift wood actually will lower it some. Keep us/me posted on your cycle prigress any questions or probs let us know.

8 is okay mine is same, drift wood actually will lower it some. Keep us/me posted on your cycle prigress any questions or probs let us know.

Ok so i did do a dose of stresszyme and then added a tsp of ammonia. I waited about 45min and tested and the water turned like almost a dark greenish turquoise. It doesnt even really match any on ammonia on the chart but if it did id guess 6-8ppm? should i retest?

Leave it be till tomorrow may have to do wc no need to add stresszyme until you do water changes just let the tank do is thing

Back
Top Bottom