Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

What are your parameters? How about water change schedule?

Old 05-04-2014, 08:07 AM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

The rocks in the 10g look suspicious. Looks like calcium based rock and that will give you high pH problems. In the big tank, more than 3" of substrate can cause problems of too much anaerobic bacteria and it's toxic wastes. Test your tap water for all the tests you have so you know what you're working with at the start. Set a cup full out overnight to degas then test. OS.

Old 05-04-2014, 03:06 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Activist

I do a weekly partial water change and then do about 25 to 50 once a month also the rocks in my 10 gallon are just aquatic stacking rocks I've had those for quite some time before I even had the pH issue

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app
Old 05-04-2014, 03:10 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

OH OK. Just offering possibilities. OS.
Old 05-04-2014, 03:16 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks all!

Old 05-05-2014, 03:07 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
The rocks in the 10g look suspicious. Looks like calcium based rock and that will give you high pH problems. In the big tank, more than 3" of substrate can cause problems of too much anaerobic bacteria and it's toxic wastes. Test your tap water for all the tests you have so you know what you're working with at the start. Set a cup full out overnight to degas then test. OS.
I don't know about the rocks but those shells you're using as decorations will increase the ph.

Also, anaerobic bacteria is 100% desirable in an aquarium. It consumes nitrate for the oxygen and gasses off nitrogen gas which exits the tank. There's no toxic by products from it. It's actually the exact method salt water tanks use for nitrate control.
Old 05-05-2014, 03:21 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

Anaerobic bacteria? I mean I have bio stars in my filter. But I'm going to take the shells out. Thankyou

Old 05-05-2014, 05:12 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mebbid View Post
I don't know about the rocks but those shells you're using as decorations will increase the ph.

Also, anaerobic bacteria is 100% desirable in an aquarium. It consumes nitrate for the oxygen and gasses off nitrogen gas which exits the tank. There's no toxic by products from it. It's actually the exact method salt water tanks use for nitrate control.

+1.....
Old 05-05-2014, 07:38 AM   #19
Aquarium Advice Addict

Hydrogen Sulphide, ? Aqua Chem where are you? Maybe there's not enough sulphides in our substrate but in lakes and waste water holding ponds it's a real issue when the bio sludge at the bottom gets too deep. The beneficial types are underneath the top most layers. I remember being warned about too deep substrate in the past. Maybe a debunked theory by now? Sorry. OS.
Old 05-05-2014, 08:36 AM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scales View Post
Hydrogen Sulphide, ? Aqua Chem where are you? Maybe there's not enough sulphides in our substrate but in lakes and waste water holding ponds it's a real issue when the bio sludge at the bottom gets too deep. The beneficial types are underneath the top most layers. I remember being warned about too deep substrate in the past. Maybe a debunked theory by now? Sorry. OS.
*shrug* I've never heard anything about that. But waste water and aquariums have vastly differing chemistry involved. I know 5-6 inches is the recommended sand bed depth for developing an anaerobic area.

The most commonly cultured nitrifying bacteria for the bottled bacteria comes from those wastewater plants but arent actually suited to the relatively low nutrient systems of our tanks. That's the reason they don't work most of the time.

Tags
eel, tan, tank, tanks

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com