Beginning to feel hopeless with my two tanks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I know someone who kept getting mini cycles in their tank, it turns out they were putting dechlor in the tank water, but refilling through the top filter and the chlorine in the tap was killing off all the bb.

This is a very good tip. After performing a WC, most hob filters require a quick fill for priming because the water usually reverse siphons back into the tank when the tank water level drops. It is tempting to add some of the new water to the top of the filter. I keep a small plastic cup nearby and fill the filter with with tank water PRIOR to refilling the tank.

Hi something as simple as mixing up your gravel when you do a water change brings alot of stuff up which then has a chance to be picked up from your filters, 6cm is quite deep, so alot of left over food and waste will be buried in your gravel not helping stats. With your hand or a gravel clean mix the gravel up before you change water and as the waste and left over food comes up from the gravel you will take some of that out as you remove water in your water change. Overfeeding can cause spikes in your stats so only feed what they will eat within 5mins. Anything left over feed a smaller amount next time.

Can i remove gravel while doing so?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dont think its necessary to move gravel out often to clean it, i move gravel out and give a good clean about once a month, but not necessary all the time, could stress fish out more, just give it a good stir when you put your hands in so the muck can float up

No I want to take 3 inches out permantly

oh sorry i see, its up to you, i think its ok to have 6cm but will obviously require more cleaning. Its can look nice to have deep gravel level. But is easy if there is just a layer to cover floor as it does mean less waste gets stuck in it

Thanks it does look nice and I don't mind cleaning I have a gravel cleaner that goes underwater I'm sure you've heard of it and it does a great job of cleaning like all the way down to the bottom of the tank

Back
Top Bottom