Beginnner Tank choice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wando

Aquarium Advice Newbie
First time aquarium buyer here,

my friend is offering me an eclipse system 12 for $50. Is it better to get the eclipse or should i just buy a 10g glass tank, filter, etc from online and my LFS? and the eclipse is an acrylic tank, how easily does it get scratched?

my LFS has a 20gallon high for $45 is that a good price? and what kind of filter, heater would be good for a 20g?

Is it just for the tank?

You can get a 29gal kit at wal-mart for $100. Everything works pretty well.. but expect to get a better heater down the line.... and the filter works, you might want to upgrade down the line as well- but it is by far a really good deal for a starter kit. My boyfriend has had his wal-mart starter kit for 2 years now, and the filter still works and we went ahead and replaced the heater from the get-go...

$50 for an Eclipse 12 system sounds like a pretty good deal. I paid over $40 for my Eclipse Hex 5 a couple of years ago. You should definitely get as big a tank as you can because it is easier to maintain and of course there is more room for fish and decorations.

I also like the 29 gallon Wal-Mart kit that sells for around $100. That was my first tank (I got it as a Christmas present). As liquidphyre mentioned you will probably want to replace the heater at some point but it is perfectly good.

It comes with a glass lid and light hood. There's also another LFS that sells a 20g for 28 withouht a ligth is that a better deal?
The 29 gallon is too big for the space i have to put an aquarium.

$45 for tank and hood
$10-15 for heater
$15-30 for filter

You are looking at around 70-90 for the 20gal

I think you should get the $45 tank because the light hood can cost anywhere from $15-$30.

Welcome to AA! :D
Here are two terrific books for the :n00b: !
The Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums

Aquariums for Dummies

I (also a newbie) am reading The Simple Guide to Fresh Water Aquariums. Boruchowitz suggests that the smallest tank to begin with is a 20 gallon. He recommends larger than that, either a 29 gallon or a 50 gallon. But, he also says if you really want to get into this hobby and your current circumstances don't permit anything larger than a 10 gallon (i.e., tiny apartment, parents won't permit a larger tank, etc.) then go for it.

However, 10 gallon tanks are less forgiving of mistakes than a larger tank. If something goes wrong in a smaller tank it overtakes the whole thing much more quickly than it would in an larger volume.

See what my first experience was like by clicking here. I wish I had done my research first.

I second the recommendation for "The Simple Guide to Freshwater Aquariums" by David Boruchowitz. That was the first book on tropical fish I got and I still refer to it occasionally.

Back
Top Bottom