Best black sand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SilverBlaze85

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys!

When I set up my 40 gallon years ago, I used play sand, as it was recommended, and cheap!

This go around, I wanna use black sand. I’m setting up a 10 gallon for a betta, and thought black sand would really help the color pop! That said, I don’t need 50 lbs! XD

What black sand do you recommend? And where to get it?

Thanks!

I have used black diamond sand blasting material for awhile now. You can get it at places like tractor supply for $8 I think it is? It is a 50lbs bag but trust me its worth having the extra laying around for a later rescale. A 40g with just black sand will probably take close to a bag anyways. Black diamond is known to have copper in it sometimes so if you are keeping invertebrates then it may not be the best choice.

@Goatnad

Thank you! How would I know if there was any copper? Debating on a few shrimp with him, not 100% sure yet though!

Make sure you get coal slag and not copper slag. I've seen shrimp in black diamond blasting sand tanks. I don't think there would be enough if any at all to be a concern. If you got copper pipes in your home like most people traces could be found in the water but even that doesn't really happen because copper has to sit in water for awhile to leach out. Simply running your tap water for a little bit before using the water which most people do to get the temp right will remove the water that sat in the copper pipes.

If you are skeptical then just buy your standard black sand from a fish shop. It'll cost more but if it gives you peace of mind it's worth it.

@King Fisher

Thank you! I wasn’t sure if it was that each batch varies in the amount of copper, or what. :) Like I said, not 100% on shrimp yet, still tossing around the idea. Setting up the tank this weekend to cycle, so plenty of time to decide.

It looks like I’ll be stopping to get some! Thank you both!

Running activated carbon will remove traces of copper. There's also some other products on the market you can stick in your filter that absorbs copper.

Good luck. Let us know what you decide.

Back
Top Bottom