Best Canister & HOB Filters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ScorpioMoon

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Back with more questions...

I will need a canister filter for my 75g and I'm thinking I'll go with a HOB for my 29g tank, but if canister is the best way to go I'll do that.

I want both tanks to be planted if that helps.

Opinions please! Best filters and why...

Hi ScorpioMoon:

For HOB I like the Aquaclear. It has a pretty big media chamber, and you can customize media instead of having to use the manufacturer's cartridges. It also has a flow control; the range of flow you can set isn't really very wide, but it sometimes helps to have it. I put a sponge pre-filter on the intake tube, and I rarely have any problems with it.

I agree with the Aquaclear suggestion for HOB's.

Personally I prefer canisters (quieter, doesn't take away from the look of your aquarium, more bio-media availability, etc.).

I've used both Fluval and Eheim and have grown to prefer Eheim as they're easier to clean and seem smoother operating. Can't beat German engineering.

For a tank that size, I lean towards a wet-dry filter setup. I even have a wet-dry on a 40 gallon although I admit it might be a bit too much. But wet-dry filters are easy to use and change filter pads on and they keep the water crystal-clear. I have only used one canister filter, for about a year, and didn't like it because it seemed too much work to clean; it was hard to tell when it needed cleaning, actually. HOBs are fine for smaller tanks.

I will need a canister filter for my 75g and I'm thinking I'll go with a HOB for my 29g tank, but if canister is the best way to go I'll do that.

I'll join the Aquaclear mob: they're great filters. An Aquaclear 50 should be perfect for the 29g tank.

For the 75, I'd go with both a canister *and* an HOB filter, so you have a backup in case one fails. For canister filters, I like the Marineland Magniflow series, but there are a lot of good ones on the market. :cool:

Thanks for the suggestions... When I feel like I've made a decision on the HOB for the 29g I second guess myself and wonder if I'll end up wanting a canister for it down the road and should just invest in one up front.

However, if you guys feel like a HOB would be appropriate it definitely helps on the back and forth.

What is wet/dry filtration? I haven't gone down that path yet...

Yorg, great suggestions! Whether HOB or canister I wanted to get creative w/ the media and toss out the carbon filters. I saw a youtuber that put a pre-filter on the HOB filter and I thought that was a great idea!

I'll definitely check out the filter everyone has recommended here!

A wet dry filter is a type of filtration that typically utilizes a sump.
What's a sump? It's basically an extra tank that is below the the main or display tank. Special drains allow water to travel from the main tank to the sump via gravity (usually an overflow type of setup). The sump is divided into sections. Each section contains areas where different types of filtration can take place (mechanical, chemical, and biological). Heaters and other devices can be housed in the sump as well. One of the sections can have a wet-dry filter. Wet-dry refers to a type of biological filtration in which water trickles through filter media that is above the water line. This will maximize the air-water surface area ensuring a high availability of oxygen and gas exchange. This, in turn, supplies an adequate amount of oxygen to the bacteria that break down the waste into less harmful substances.
Water is returned to the main tank via a water pump.

Last edited:

I just set up my 29 gallon with an AC70.

Attachments

• IMG_1399.jpg
    IMG_1399.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 75
SMS1852, It looks great! I decided on the 70 as well....the cost difference is hardly there and it's extra room for media! I love your little skull. I also like the black...is it sand or fine gravel? I'm still trying to decide on substrate. I like the black look but I like the natural stone gravel as well. I'm getting closer to making all the necessary decisions though!

JC, I heard that too and have looked into reviews on youtube. It seems like for the price, you can't really beat it. I have one in my amazon cart for the 75 gal.

SMS1852, It looks great! I decided on the 70 as well....the cost difference is hardly there and it's extra room for media! I love your little skull. I also like the black...is it sand or fine gravel? I'm still trying to decide on substrate. I like the black look but I like the natural stone gravel as well. I'm getting closer to making all the necessary decisions though!

JC, I heard that too and have looked into reviews on youtube. It seems like for the price, you can't really beat it. I have one in my amazon cart for the 75 gal.

It's Tahitian Moon Sand. I got it from Petco online. Its actually a fine gravel. We ended up with the black because it makes for a nice contrast. My son had to have the little skull, it's from Pet Supermarket. Thanks for complimenting my tank I'm fairly new at this but having lots of fun, when my fish don't die.

Back
Top Bottom